1995 silverado k1500 4x4 noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a brand new truck there would be some movement you could probably see, but our series of trucks are now feeling their age. With all the moving gear train parts, some wear on each can add up . As Mr schurkey stated a lot of wear in the connected axle parts can cause excessive amount of ring and pinion movement, ( drive shaft movement) as it shifts in to a drive direction. At idle the engine in drive wants to move the truck. So wheels with brake on then shift to drive the power takes up all the drivetrain slack.

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So one thing I found out, is when going into reverse the driveshaft is suppose remain still. Yet on the truck it moves. Also it clunks into reverse when shifting. Definitely feel this issue is related. What do you all think?

I had this exact issue. I wanted to rebuild my transfer case anyway since it (and front diff) were the last things I needed to work on to have a completely rebuilt drivetrain.

Found all kinds of damage in my case, including a broken output shaft snap ring (also called a bearing retainer). I upgraded up to the heavy duty snap ring (there is also an even beefier split collar retainer). I suspect that busted snap ring was causing the clunking.. that entire shaft had about 1/4" of play back and forth inside the case.

Also.. it looks like that snap ring can be replaced without pulling the t-case out of the truck.

Replaced everything that was busted and the clunk in reverse went away.