1995 C2500- 4L60E Harsh Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1995 GMC Sierra SL C2500, 295,000 miles

Hi guys, I've got a high-mileage but allegedly (no paperwork from previous owner) rebuilt 4L60E. It has about 20k on it since the rebuild, but I've no information on what all was replaced, or whether it received a shift kit or any other upgrades.

It currently has some harsh shifting issues. It'll slam into gear from park, and also has a hard 1-2 shift. All other shifting is smooth. The engine is stock (but also supposedly rebuilt) and the transmission fluid is still a fairly bright shade of red.

I'm planning to pull the pan and probably the valve body, too. I've rebuilt a couple of automatics, and installed shift kits, but never any T-H or 4L-series units. I'm thinking that I might find a broken spring or something in there. What else should I look out for? And how can I identify what (if any) shift kit has been installed?