1994 k1500 350 swap has idle issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94shortbed

Reaction score
hi everybody. like the title says i did a 350 swap in my 94. it was originally a 305 but i swapped in a 350. the 350 has a 20 over bore and a comp lw end cam. nothing wild its basically stock. i took the 350 out of a junk truck and completely rebuilt the motor. everything is pretty much new. i even ripped the ecm out of the junk truck which was also a 1994 1500. my issue is the idle. when it starts up it has a really low idle. but it does go up with some time. maybe a minute or 2. im not sure what is wrong since the idle air control valve is new. any advice or help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
CTS in the manifold IMO. Idle should be higher at crank and for a minute or two until warm, not lower.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Coolant Temperature Sensor. That is the sensor that tells the ECM to command a high idle when the engine is cold to warm it up.

94shortbed

Reaction score
ok i will replace that as well. just hooked a scanner to it and the computer shows an IAC valve code. which is new so im a bit confused now

94shortbed

Reaction score
also even when the truck is warm it idles really low and takes a while to get the idle up. the scanner also showed a MAP sensor code so i replaced that. made some improvement but like i said even when its warm the motor takes a bit to idle and even then it still seems a bit low. i mean ive only put 50 miles on the motor so far. could the ecm not have reset yet? if so about how long does that take? i mean i can drive it its just at startup is when it worries me.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you need to let the IAc set itself if that's not been done it should be, you should also clear the computer when you change sensors and such.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
computer gets reset by pulling the ecm fuse in the fuse box or unhooking the battery.

the IAC I forget how it gets reset.