1994 G3500 - short bus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
Hey everyone! First off, this site has been crazy helpful since I bought my '96 Tahoe a couple years back. Thank you!

My buddy and his family have a '94 G3500 short bus he's slowly converting over to a sorta-RV. We've installed aux batteries and an isolator and an inverter and a ton of other mods.

My question is he's got a pretty severe, sporadic front end vibration. We live just west of Denver and so there's a lot of steep highways in and out of the mountains. Everyone once in a while he says that when braking, between 55-45 the front end/steering wheel will VIOLENTLY shake. Not all the time though. The first time it occurred was coming out of the mountains, braking, making a long, gradual right turn. It would only do it under those conditions for a while. That was last spring. Now, it's doing it still sporadically but under less steep road conditions and while going straight.

We jacked up the front end and everything looks good and feels tight, except the LF wheel which if you moved as if to check for a loose wheel bearing made an odd 'click' sound. Normal driving around town it feels really good.

I feel as if it was a rotor issue, it'd pop up a lot more than this. A suspension issue would seem weird due to the MPH requirements. Could it be a failing wheel bearing? Perhaps the rotors are getting hot coming down the mountain and start to pulsate? Anyone else have any experience with these big boys?

Thanks again!

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
my 93 will shimmy a little while braking but i know it's the rotor. his sounds like the bearing assembly. there's an inner and outer so only 1 might be bad.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you jack up the control arm and check the ball joints? Could be your click and may cause the wobble.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
or bad control arm bushings causing a negative caster during braking.