1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Had a chance the other night to dig out some more parts I've acquired over the years.

Quite a few years ago i bought a blown 93 K3500 6.5 regular cab for parts. A buddy took the body parts, i took the driveline. Finally paying dividends pertaining to the 4x4 4L80E that i took out of it.

The 91-94 4L80E's use rod style linkage unlike the newer years that use cable. This trans also having the 2 VSS sensors in the case will keep my speedometer working in 2WD, 4 high, and 4 low. 94+ use the VSS in the transfer case which would throw off the speedometer in 4 low.

You must be registered for see images attach

As far as the transfer case, i did notice between the 93 and 99 case, that the shift linkage and front yoke is different. The splines, dimensions, and bolt pattern is the same, so to match the 99 front driveshaft and 99 shift linkage lever, i'll be using the 99 case with the 93 trans. Just a quick test fit.

And just because..

PY0's and short beds look so good together.

Hoping to get a roller rear axle in the truck this weekend. Just to make it easier to move around. When i do the chassis swap i plan to keep my axle out of the current truck along with it's emergency brake cable and all. Also because the roller axle i have is a 4:10 ratio and my truck, and the new chassis are both 3:73.

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
any winter updates?

Ahh, an update. Well finishing the Cummins... (93 Chevrolet C3500 Restoration/Cummins Swap - Thread) has kind of put a damper on progress towards future builds since it's not even 100% done...

so i haven't made a ton of progress.

But i have made some decisions:

This red 94 C3500 crew cab will NOT be getting swapped to a CCSB.

This truck is rust free, no real sense to rip it apart just to build a short bed. I'm just going to pick up another cab and build a truck from scratch.

I've actually got a cab lined up and plan to pick it up this weekend. It's a 94, former 5.7 gas cab. Which will work perfect since i've got a 5.7/4L80E combo bolted on to this CCSB frame.

Here are a couple pictures of it currently. (i'll open up its own thread once i get a cab)

Ultimately this means......

This 94 (Red truck) stays on crew cab long bed frame. Likely will become a dually or flatbed (or both) at somepoint. Plan to put a 24V/NV4500 in it for the next engine swap.

basically for a fleet of....
93 C3500 CCLB, 12valve/auto, pickup box
94 C3500 CCLB, 24valve/5spd, flatbed or dually box
?? K2500 CCSB, 350/4l80E, shortbed 4x4

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Ahh, an update. Well finishing the Cummins... (93 Chevrolet C3500 Restoration/Cummins Swap - Thread) has kind of put a damper on progress towards future builds since it's not even 100% done...

so i haven't made a ton of progress.

But i have made some decisions:

This red 94 C3500 crew cab will NOT be getting swapped to a CCSB.

This truck is rust free, no real sense to rip it apart just to build a short bed. I'm just going to pick up another cab and build a truck from scratch.

I've actually got a cab lined up and plan to pick it up this weekend. It's a 94, former 5.7 gas cab. Which will work perfect since i've got a 5.7/4L80E combo bolted on to this CCSB frame.

Here are a couple pictures of it currently. (i'll open up its own thread once i get a cab)

Ultimately this means......

This 94 (Red truck) stays on crew cab long bed frame. Likely will become a dually or flatbed (or both) at somepoint. Plan to put a 24V/NV4500 in it for the next engine swap.

basically for a fleet of....
93 C3500 CCLB, 12valve/auto, pickup box
94 C3500 CCLB, 24valve/5spd, flatbed or dually box
?? K2500 CCSB, 350/4l80E, shortbed 4x4

LOVE IT.
Is that the 350 that was in the 94?

And if you ever get tired of having a fleet of kickass trucks, I'm sure one of them would enjoy some sunny Southern terrain; and my truck could always use a friend...

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
LOVE IT.
Is that the 350 that was in the 94?

And if you ever get tired of having a fleet of kickass trucks, I'm sure one of them would enjoy some sunny Southern terrain; and my truck could always use a friend...

It is the 350 that was in the 94. It's sat since i pulled it. I've been looking for a reg cab or some junker 4x4 to throw it in for a winter truck.

But since time has gone on, it just makes more sense to leave the 94 on it's CCLB frame and pick up a cab for the winter beater. The prices on these trucks are getting crazy. A lot of people want 2k for a K2500 regular cab that has 250k and a blown trans.

I can buy another cab and build the CCSB for that. Plus the short bed and 4x4 will make for a good winter truck. And with the 350... no cold starts. :)

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Bit of an update... Truck just hit 400k.

Still rust free. The 6.5 is running good. Transmission is starting to go, but it's been a damn good truck.

and since this doesn't have it's own thread.... the crew cab short bed still awaits it's cab... (deal for the cab i was supposed to pick up fell through)

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Bit of an update... Truck just hit 400k.

Still rust free. The 6.5 is running good. Transmission is starting to go, but it's been a damn good truck.

and since this doesn't have it's own thread.... the crew cab short bed still awaits it's cab... (deal for the cab i was supposed to pick up fell through)

i need that bed lol

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So after 6 years of owning this truck, i finally found the last piece of the interior...

This truck started out as a factory Cheyenne with front and rear vinyl bench seats and rubber flooring. As the thread shows over the years I've converted it to match my other truck (outside of PW/PL)

These door panels are the final piece and i can finally say it's done.

Also snapped some pictures of the old pile...

And while i know I've gone back and forth quite a bit on this quite a bit... I've come to the decision that i likely will in fact swap this truck to the CCSB frame i restored last summer.

I'm not 100% sure yet, ultimately i really just want 4x4. Whether it's SAS or a CCSB swap. Both have their perks, i've always wanted for a smaller truck but then again i do use the long bed very frequently...

Parking a CCLB on a daily basis isn't a ton of fun, so the short bed makes sense. Also i like the stock IFS ride height much more than SAS. On the contrary keeping the long bed and a much more sturdy SAS front end is also very intriguing so i don't know.

Still deciding, not sure yet.

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
See, I was gonna say you're not done but you did that for me.

It's just the interior i'm done with. haha

As far as the rest of it, i'm not sure. I just can't decide. I love the CCLB trucks, but they're just a lot to park and maneuver on a daily basis.

A red 6.5 powered K2500 CCSB with red 88-94 interior has kind of been my "dream truck" for a long time.... but now that the time has come i'm starting to wonder if i actually even would like having the short bed.