1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So thats it as far as my "dream trucks" go.... realistically that's all i'm going to do... And I probably won't ever get to the ECSB 2500 lol.

The reason i can justify the CCLB Cummins and CCSB 4x4 builds are because they are going to be essentially completely rebuilt trucks that i can drive for the next 20 years or so. I have no need for a 3rd truck, and honestly don't want that many vehicles to maintance.

So realistically i'll be stuck with these two. If i did get another truck it would solely be a winter beater.

As far as other ideas that i'd like to do, but realistically won't do:

If i were to build a black truck, i would use 88GMCTruck's trademark GMC grille with black diesel bumper. This looks ultra sleek and somewhat stock. Also, if i ever were to build a dually it'd be running 16" alcoas with OE centers. This just looks super factoryish as well.

The wheels on the far right (raceline rockcrushers) are what i plan to use for my "summer set" when my crew cab short bed is done. Super era correct looking wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also love the deluxe two tone trucks, particularly the red/black and burgundy/gold ones. I'd love to do a red/black K2500 extended cab long bed, and a gold/burgundy K2500 extended cab short bed. Both 8 lugs of course. The burgundy/gold lets say a 1996 and the black/red a 1994 with red interior. I'll never own ether one but these would be two cool builds to do.

For some reason two tones just don't look as good on crew cabs.....

And lastly, probably the most practical of builds i'd like to do..... if i ever were to get a 3rd truck, it would most likely be a reg cab long bed K3500. Just a winter daily driver/firewood hauler. Nothing special. On this one i love the pinstripe, really works with the factory 4x4 sticker. As much as i'd love that red k2500 ext cab shorty, it just isn't really practical to have as a 3rd truck. If i got a 3rd truck it'd be a beater, and if it's a beater i'd need the long bed so i can use it for work.

If i ever do get a 3rd truck, it's probably going to be something like this.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are correct.

The CCSB's came out in late 98 and were implemented in the 1999 model year through 2000.

by 4 speed if you mean 4 speed automatic than yes... there was not a 4 speed manual offered.

The 6.5 diesel was only available in the 1999 year. Generally speaking, despite the short production run, CCSB's are somewhat easy to find. The CCSB duallys are a little harder to find, and can get pricy. Particularly if you want a diesel one.

I'd love to know some production data on them, but unfortunately it's not worth the $$$ to find out. I do have a CCSB 6.5 CCSB Dually VIN though if someone wants to run it!
I was trying to find out about the manual 4 speed in the ccsb dually. Thanks

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I was trying to find out about the manual 4 speed in the ccsb dually. Thanks
Yeah the 4 speed manual was never offered in the ccsb.

Only transmission options offered in the 99-00 CCSB models were the NV4500 and the 4L80E.

In fact, from what i'm reading according to GM Heritage, the SM465 4 speed manual was not offered after 1991.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the 4 speed manual was never offered in the ccsb.

Only transmission options offered in the 99-00 CCSB models were the NV4500 and the 4L80E.

In fact, from what i'm reading according to GM Heritage, the SM465 4 speed manual was not offered after 1991.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So this weekend I'm headed to Columbus Ohio to pick this up...

A buddy of mine has this short bed in good shape, and it's already the same color and even has the factory 4x4 decal.

It's not perfect, but it's not rusty, and will work good for a truck that will be used as a daily driver.

Still probably a year or so out from me being able to swap the truck over to the CCSB chassis.... but at least I have all of the parts now.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
how ya gonna carry it back? i carried one, placed upside down, rail to rail, C-clamped in 6 places and drove home.

while searching this image kept popping up:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
That's my idea worst case scenario.

Im going to try and set it inside the bed somehow, even if it slightly sticks out one side. Especially since it's a short bed and mine is a long bed. Really don't want to take a trailer. I'll figure out a way lol.

I'll be bringing tons of straps and wood blocks.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So made it to Ohio and back to grab this bed. Brought it home, not as perfect as I'd thought, But it's going to work. Not exactly rust free ether. The guy I bought it from I've been friends on Facebook with for a while, only reason I'd agreed to travel that far. Supposedly was put on the truck approximately a year ago. Based on the surface rust beginning to form, I'd say it's seen the Midwest for more than just a year. However everything is solid enough to where I should be able to make it work.

Going to experiment with that POR15 stuff as far as undercoating goes. Primarily just on the crossmembers, up underneath the taillight areas, around the wheel wells, and pretty much up underneath where all the trailer wiring sits. As that typically rusts out. Also going to POR15 the back sides of the bumpers, and the entire frame of the truck. The rest will be hit with rubberized undercoating which I've had good luck with.

Since I got it home, I started prepping it for rust, and fit installed OEM fender flare on the one side using 3M adhesive rather than that janky metal channel.

Looking at the pictures you can't really tell what I'm talking to when I say it's not perfect. There is a dent in front of the gas cap, some surface rust underneath, and within the taillight areas. All things I've been in the process of wire wheeling to prep for POR15.

Then yesterday, I grabbed some pictures. And yes I know I swap front ends around like crazy, but I'm going to stick with the chevy one. Particularly since it's a Chevrolet by VIN, and since I have the tailgate banner installed.

(The smoothie front bumper is just a temporary until I POR15 the back side of the diesel bumper.)

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Been hearing a lot about POR15 lately, figured I'd give it a try.

This short bed isn't perfect anyways so I figured it would be a good candidate to try it on. I wire wheeled the entire bed and got everything cleaned up. Then brushed the POR-15 on. Also hit the back side of the front bumper with it and plan to do the same for the inside of the rear bumper.

I did rubberized undercoating on the underbody of the entire red truck before I swapped engines... however with about 15-20 cans of rubberized undercoating (@ $6.99 a piece) underneath the CCLB, I figured I'd try an alternative in this POR15 Product. Even if I go back and undercoat, or add another top coat on top of the POR15. I figure the POR15 should provide somewhat of a base to keep the truck lasting as long as I can. Everyone I've talked to recommends it highly, so we'll give it a try.

The local paint shop sells a similar product named "KBS" which i hear is essentially a knock off that's made by one of the original POR15 founder. At about 10-15% cheaper, i'll probably use that to undercoat the 8 foot bed, and the entire frame and underbody of the white truck since it won't ever be seeing snow again.

I'll also need to coat the CCSB 4x4 frame with POR15, or this KBS stuff before I swap the red truck over to that chassis.

Last edited: