1993 ECSB K1500 4x4 Build "Scout"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtie_Nation

Reaction score
I've been wanting to create a thread here for a while for my 1993 K1500, but the build progress has been too slow to really give any good updates with some nice photos until recently. But regardless here's my 1993 ECSB K1500 4x4/Z71ish with a 5.7L 350 and 4L60E both original with 157K and counting, the 4L60E is holding strong and the engine seems to have some pretty decent power left in it, been wanting to do a compression test at some point, and beyond having some pretty gummed up lifters that knock for a second on startup and tick almost 90% of the time, just been too busy to do much about it, thought about running some trans fluid for a few hundred miles in the oil to see if it can break up those carbon deposits, but seems risky and don't want to try anything until I have enough money saved up that if I blow the engine I can afford a new one. Definitely considering getting a TBI 383 some time this year and throwing it in once I can find a secondary vehicle and build this truck up a bit.

Bought it almost completely stock towards the end of October of 2015 with 142K, the only modifications the previous owner had made were adding the fog lights, added leaf in the rear, grille guard (could be stock for all I know), re did the original exhaust, but still stock set up, was pretty quiet at the time, and possibly added Z71 skid plates, think their stock though, I should probably take a look at the options sticker in the glove box. The previous owner seemed to have taken pretty decent care of it, everything seemed to have been kept up on maintenance wise, at least judging by the notes the gave me, looks like it was garaged judging by the paint's near immaculate condition, but it was definitely used as a farm truck. Dealt with oil cooler lines pretty early went through two sets pretty fast and blew a fitting the first day after I got the new ones on. Fixed my many other oil leaks from valve covers to trans shifter shaft seal and the whole 9 yards. Pretty happy with it for my first truck let alone first vehicle.

Photo taken not long after I bought it.
You must be registered for see images

Built a headache rack December of 2015.

Got some KCs Mounted on it in early 2016.

In November I got a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 245/75/16 with 50%ish tread for $50 off of a late 90s Dodge and bought a set of new 16x8 American Racing Bajas and got em on the truck first week of December. Around the time in November I blew my new oil cooler lines oddly enough, only on for 6 months or so, getting kind of annoying lol. Tore off the headache rack around the same time and made some modifications, thought it was too tall so I chopped it 6" and made some beneficial modifications to my original design. At this time I didnt have it finished yet. Doing some exploring in the snow~

In early March I got a new exhaust put on, 3" from the Y-Pipe back to a flowmaster super 40 with dual 2.5" outlets side dumped at the rear, with the cat cut out. Blew the fuel pump towards the end of march, had been dying for a while happy it lasted as long as it did though. With the new Fuel Pump the trucks performance jumped tenfold, now I rarely lose speed on hills on the interstate going 75-80 usually gain a few MPH even on the big hills without having to floor it. Got some new headlights and marker lights in early march along with some saddle blanket seat covers.

A photo from today, she really needs a wash soon.

Just got a throttle body spacer this weekend, will prolly throw it on sometime soon when I get the time to, senior year is starting to get stressful and time is limited with working 26 hrs a week at a lumber yard alongside school.

Future plans for Scout would be repainting the rocker panels, maybe even a full new paint job, but IDK. New 383 TBI hopefully by the end of this summer. Some sort of a lift, maybe a leveling kit with blocks at the rear, and some 285/70R16 Goodyear Fierce Additudes, at least hopefully. We'll see how things go in the future. Have a new 4L60E that I could get for $1000 with a 6" RCD lift off a rolled suburban, not sure if I'll get it but it's possible too.

Problably gonna try to buy a 95 K1500 that I've been working on for a co-worker that has high miles, new engine and trans though. So there's that too possibly a new Daily Driver? We'll see.

~Cole

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Looks like the previous owner updated the grille to the '94+

Good start so far. It looks pretty clean.

Bowtie_Nation

Reaction score
@deejaaa ~ Thanks man, yeah excited for the money come in for it! (Whenever that happens lol)
@98BlackSierra ~ Yep forgot to mention that, I like it, looks ten times better than the 88-93 Grilles. And thanks!
@Goose 3406 ~ Thanks man, when I bought the truck I wasnt so keen on the paint, but I like it a lot now. Thought it was a unique paintscheme, realized there were at least 4 ECSBs in town with the same paintscheme, a CCLB with a Cummins swap and at least 2 SCLBs.
@Biggershaft96 ~ Thanks man!

Well, I was gonna go offroading today, that got called off so I bought some tools I've been needing for ages and started working on the Throttle Body Spacer and planned to replace my IAC or at least clean out the old one, that didnt go as planned either.

Got to working on it:

Found out I needed some fuel line extensions so I ran to town in the old plow truck hoping someone would have some, no-one did....

So Altogether I got the TBI unit back on, torqued up, cleaned off the TBI unit. Stripped the head pretty badly on one of the fuel line connections, I can still use it but FML. Started spraying carb cleaner onto the TBI unit without towels in the injector cups, real stupid mistake there.

Oh and this happened too while putting stuff back together....

So Scout is parked indefinitely until summit can ship me my extensions, got next day air, more than doubled my price but whatevs. Third time Scout has been parked this year, not gonna be the last but gahh.

Anyways, take care,
~Cole

Goose 3406

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man, when I bought the truck I wasnt so keen on the paint, but I like it a lot now. Thought it was a unique paintscheme, realized there were at least 4 ECSBs in town with the same paintscheme, a CCLB with a Cummins swap and at least 2 SCLBs.
yea lol color never did fully grow on me, but then again whoever had it before me rode it hard and put it up wet so the ol girl never did look to good to begin with

Bowtie_Nation

Reaction score
So here goes with a really delayed update on Scout.

Finally got her buttoned back up on the 10th after quite a bit of finagling. With the fuel line extensions on the TBI unit was being shoved just a hair too far forward to the point that if I tried to get the bolts in they probably would have stripped the intake manifold. So with the TBI unit's bolts barely threaded in and some forcing on the fuel lines I eventually came together.

Some photos from my trip to Gardiner on the 13th to go get some sheet metal cut out. Went really well, was a fun trip to a place that I haven't been to in years.

Got some random snow out of nowhere on the 17th, like a foot and a half.

Hit a small mud hole on Sunday, was rutted out bad and my truck jumped about a foot or so in the air and flew back into the mud hole then hit another rut and did the same. This was dragging on the ground afterwards, so goodbye fog lights... Need to take a look at my front end a bit more and double check and see if anything is screwed up more than it usually is, though ride quality hasn't changed thankfully.

Got her cleaned up today, gonna have to take a pic, I don't think Ive shown many clean pics of the ol girl.

Jason1351

Reaction score
What is the backspacing on the 16x8's? Waiting on a friend to drop off some with a 4.5" backspacing. Just trying to if they'll stick out or not.