1992 K1500 4hi won’t engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edrowski

Reaction score
ok so I just recently purchased my first 4wd a month or so ago. The 4lo will engage and work flawlessly. But when I go to put it in 4hi it will stay until I touch the gas then it’ll pop back into 2hi. If I hold it in 4hi myself it will engage sometimes but then it’ll either disengage or go in and out of working. Any ideas? It has a 3 inch body lift and I’ve heard that could affect it. Thanks in advance

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have to much flex/movement in the drivetrain and or body. May have to get under the truck and have someone you trust put it in 4hi and tap the gas......holding the brakes to ofcourse.....lol.. and see what's moving. It's a real simple linkage actually to figure out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Before you try what magimerlin suggested pull the shift lever into 4 hi with the truck off and then slide under the truck and pop the linkage out of the T case shift lever and see if the t case shift lever has reached full travel. you might have to adjust the linkage.

Edrowski

Reaction score
Before you try what magimerlin suggested pull the shift lever into 4 hi with the truck off and then slide under the truck and pop the linkage out of the T case shift lever and see if the t case shift lever has reached full travel. you might have to adjust the linkage.
That’s what Ive been reading up on and thinking, because when I hold it in 4hi it’ll sometimes make a grinding noise like it’s not fully engaged or fully into 4hi

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
This issue is pretty common, actually. Check your linkage, as suggested above. If that doesn't take care of the issue (it probably won't) then you'll have to replace the synchronizer assembly inside the transfer case. A full rebuild kit doesn't cost much (less than $300) and if you have access to a lift, the rebuild can take less than two hours start to finish. One thing to look out for though, is that there is a ball and spring that is used to hold the shift lever in position- that spring wears out, and isn't typically included in the rebuild kit.

When you cycle the transfer case shifter from 2 hi to Neutral, and then into 4 Hi, do you feel the handle 'lock' into position at each point? or does it freely slide between the settings? If the latter, your spring is worn out, and maybe even broken.

The spring and ball are part #70 & 71 on the parts diagram, and interface with part #55:
You must be registered for see images attach