1991, K2500, 45,000 original miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdawg

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought it in '08, with 15,000 miles on it.
It is one of the trucks that was sent to a conversion shop, which added the fiberglass fenders/running boards, a custom front seat with wood center console and hand painted pin-stripes.
It's a Canadian-built Silverado, with nearly all (if not all) available options, and everything still works perfectly. It has a factory tow package, with a factory transmission cooler. It is a pacific northwest vehicle, so, there is no rust anywhere.

I have had one person insist to me that it was NOT a ¾ ton, because it has 6 lug wheels.
I don't know what that's all about, it's labeled as a 2500, and does what I need it to do, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I use it for pulling my '06, 23' travel trailer (4,500lbs dry, max load 6,300lbs (thereabouts)), and for stuff around the house.

Over the years I have:
  • Upgraded the rear view mirror, to a new model with temperature and compass built in
  • Upgraded the exhaust to a dual exhaust system
  • Added an Aux input to the factory radio system
  • Had the transmission rebuilt, and the original "issues" with the 700r4 corrected
  • Added a trailer brake controller
  • Added factory fog-lights (had to custom cut the air-dam)
  • Added the bed-rail covers
  • Added Remote Keyless Entry
I need to do a little better job of taking care of it, as this forum has helped me realize how rapidly it's becoming an antique, AND, how lucky I am to have one in such awesome condition.
  • I need to have all of the fluids flushed and filled, most particularly, the differentials (front and rear), and the power steering fluid.
  • The spare tire needs to be replaced, as it's the original, and probably useless.
  • The headliner is starting to sag, so, I need to figure out how best to fix that. I really would like to retain the red fabric somehow.
  • The dash has two cracks in it now; probably going to have to get a dash cover, which I don't care for, but, oh well.
  • The shocks need to be replaced (they're all original, and leaking)
  • I've got a chrome strip on the front bumper that needs to be replaced.
  • The headlights and front turn signals are showing their age, I'm going to replace them, looks like the glass Spyder ones are best.
  • And, last but not least, I think I'm going to take the plunge and put in a single-din flip up screen, Android Auto/Apple Car Play stereo. All my other vehicles are '15 and newer, and it'd be nice if the truck kept up with the technology, since we use it.
Let me know if anyone has any thoughts/opinions/inputs.
Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Last edited:

Cdawg

Reaction score
that very clean looking
Thank-you. I had of course washed and waxed it, right before these photos, but yes, in general, it is very clean for it's age. That doesn't mean it hasn't seen it's share of mud, snow and ice though. :)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Thank-you!

So, did they make two different versions of 2500 trucks, each with a different GVW?

Yes there were two versions of the 2500 series truck If it has 6 lugs it is a 7200 GVW and if it has 8 lugs it is a 8600 GVW. These weight rating may have changed on later years but yours falls into the early specs.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to add being what is effectively a light 2500 you also have a 6 lug 9.5” 14 bolt rear axle. Significantly stronger than a 10 bolt. The front suspension is half ton stuff, though I think there may be 7200lb GVW specific torsion bars.

Cdawg

Reaction score
Just to add being what is effectively a light 2500 you also have a 6 lug 9.5” 14 bolt rear axle. Significantly stronger than a 10 bolt. The front suspension is half ton stuff, though I think there may be 7200lb GVW specific torsion bars.
Where they looking for the right combination of comfort, and capabilities? Half-tons typically have a smoother ride, correct?

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where they looking for the right combination of comfort, and capabilities? Half-tons typically have a smoother ride, correct?

My light 2500 is an 88, first year for the GMT400. My best guess is GM saw a market for a heavier half ton that got better mileage than the 8600 GVW trucks. 88-90 8600 GVW trucks came with a TH400 which is a great transmission, just no overdrive.

Ride is definitely softer as the torsion bars are not as stiff and the leaf packs are half ton packs with an add a leaf.

Personally I plan to put a new set of leafs from General Spring and Bilstein 4600 shocks in my truck.

Cdawg

Reaction score
My light 2500 is an 88, first year for the GMT400. My best guess is GM saw a market for a heavier half ton that got better mileage than the 8600 GVW trucks. 88-90 8600 GVW trucks came with a TH400 which is a great transmission, just no overdrive.

Ride is definitely softer as the torsion bars are not as stiff and the leaf packs are half ton packs with an add a leaf.

Personally I plan to put a new set of leafs from General Spring and Bilstein 4600 shocks in my truck.
I will look up those shocks, thanks!