1991 C1500, Bleeding Brakes (ABS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've had some troubles with my brake system since day one with this truck. It came to me with a leaky wheel cylinder which basically drained a good portion of my fluid throughout the system. I've since replaced both wheel cylinders in the rear, new hardware kit, new shoes, and new rotors up front with new pads. I've bled the system multiple times, but I'm running into an issue where my brakes are still extremely spongy. After reading multiple articles, I've been led to believe that my issues lie within the ABS system.

Here's my question, how can I purge the ABS system without using the "block up the rear and hit the brakes" and "find a backroad and bleed after jamming brakes"? My buddy has an old school OTC 4000 scanner that he's going to let me borrow for the weekend, but he isn't sure that it has the ABS purge option on it. Is there a certain scanner for us non-OBD2 guys to purge the ABS? I doubt I can get away with using a paperclip on this one. Lol

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Just to add, it does appear as if I can completely phase this system out using this guide found here. If that be the case, I might also go that route as well. I'd just like to maintain my ABS ability if I could since the truck will be rolling on 32" tires by next week. :D