1990 k1500 sierra 4wd will not work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98all03

Reaction score
hello I'm new to the forum. I have recently purchased a 1990 gmc sierra k1500 and the 4wd will not work I have purchased a new thermal actuator and have voltage (12v0lts) at actuator connector. still no 4wd. my question is does the rwal have any bearing on 4wd operation. the brake light is on and was flashing and I have forgotten what the code was but could the rwal solenoid problem keep 4wdfrom working. thanks in advance for any help.

98all03

Reaction score
hello I'm new to the forum. I have recently purchased a 1990 gmc sierra k1500 and the 4wd will not work I have purchased a new thermal actuator and have voltage (12v0lts) at actuator connector. still no 4wd. my question is does the rwal have any bearing on 4wd operation. the brake light is on and was flashing and I have forgotten what the code was but could the rwal solenoid problem keep 4wdfrom working. thanks in advance for any help. I have an addition to this post. I have voltage to the actuator connector but after it is connected to the actuator the voltage disappears. is there a breaker in harness or do I have a ghost torturing me. I can turn power of for a short while and still no voltage or 2-3 volts. I left it for couple hrs and voltage was good til I plugged in actuator then nothing. please any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

dwysywd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Install a new actuator or an alloy USA 450600 manual locking front diff cable. Mine works every time.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it blowing fuses? I've heard alot of the off brand actuators can be bad right out of the box. I'd also recommend going to a cable lock.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it blowing fuses? I've heard alot of the off brand actuators can be bad right out of the box. I'd also recommend going to a cable lock.

Just a thought, Are you grounding the multi meter to the plug wire or to the frame? Perhaps the plug isn't getting a good ground.