1990 C1500 ABS (RWAL) removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would happen if you where just to unplug the wires from the control box and nothing more?

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
What would happen if you where just to unplug the wires from the control box and nothing more?

To the ABS control brain? If you unplug it the system won't work but it still will not give your truck a solid brake feel either.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To the ABS control brain? If you unplug it the system won't work but it still will not give your truck a solid brake feel either.

Ok so if I unplug it I just won't have abs? I do plan on doing the mod just have to find time in between finishing the motor swap ha.

blue68elky

Reaction score
hi
new to the forum,
after a bit of research i found this site and in particular this thread
as my parking brake light was staying on
now i have removed the rwal ecu/brain/little black box obviously the light no longer comes on but went a step further and cut the plug off and traced the wires back to the bulkhead connector and removed the pins/spades out of that
here is my problem no working speedo everything else works but that
now i know I've cut/removed a speed sensor wire is there an easy solution to rectify this
many thanks

NASA144

Reaction score
Hello all... newbie here with 91 c1500 scottsdale with 305/700r 74k, yup... 74k!

Just did rwal delete, awesome write up and had no issues. BUT... now she won't pass Virginia State Inspection because the 2sec brake check light doesn't come on at start up. How does one get it to work???

Thanks for your reply/s!!!

90C1500

Reaction score
Hello all... newbie here with 91 c1500 scottsdale with 305/700r 74k, yup... 74k!

Just did rwal delete, awesome write up and had no issues. BUT... now she won't pass Virginia State Inspection because the 2sec brake check light doesn't come on at start up. How does one get it to work???

I can't give you much help on the not passing the S but I have had my brake light flashing a code on my 90 for a few years and never any trouble. I'm also in Virginia. I have a pair of sunglasses in a soft case that sits on that side in the dash spot which covers it up. Don't know if that is why it has passed or what.

I also only have about 85k on mine.

NASA144

Reaction score
85k... nice!

Yup, out sight outta mind guess. My garage is bit an@l, I mean geez... when you ground the low press connector the brake light comes on dim, which tells me thats workin. I've looked up schematics and can't find the missing link to this issue.

Others... plz chime in!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score

And I thought New York inspections were sucky, for 95 and older, it can have every light on the dash on and it will pass. 96 and newer just needs no CEL. That seems awful picky that it fails on a 25 year old truck just due to the fact that it doesn't light up .