1989 Chevy K2500 ECLB 350/SM465 "CayenneCheyenne"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Thank you! I love the two tone colored trucks too, especially that brown and tan-ish color. Don't see something like that much anymore. I picked the truck up in Redding in Sept. of 2011 so it wasn't hot then. It's been sitting since then but it'll never leave my family again. It's the same truck my dad owned from July of '89 to roughly September of '98. I came home from the hospital in it in '92 and rode around in it as a kid

You must be registered for see images attach

Morning after we brought her home

All washed up and grille and bumper reattached

Sorry for the thread jack haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's some neat history! Actually nobody in my family owned a GMT400 I just have always wanted one, friends in high school had two tones and I fell in love, I made sure my first vehicle was one and I lucked out with my 98 ECSB! My dad almost bought a new 96 K1500 ECSB but decided a house was more important to own at the time. I was brought home from the hospital in 97 by a 4Runner!

Sounds like your rubber band done unwound.

Yes it did! I was with my friend Joe when he blew up his rod knocking 350 tbi, we were red-lining it in first gear and it lasted much longer than my truck did, but my carnage somehow was much worse than his.

This is also the first 350 I've owned without rod knock, my 98 had it and it was getting progressively worse over time but it still lasted the 30k I put on it and then it was totaled before the damn thing blew up!

gstubbz

Reaction score
Well for some reason it loves oil. It was full of oil on Saturday however today when Tyler checked it the dipstick read 2 quarts low. I really don't know where that oil is going, the rear main isn't blown and there are no drips of oil anywhere. I do smell oil when I'm driving it up a hill high in the RPMs, so maybe it just burns it.

Here is a pic from the top of a steep ass hill going out of Susanville, Highway 139 which will take you directly to Klamath Falls. Picture sucks but I uploaded it anyway.

The piece above the rear window fell down, so I need to figure out what the deal is with that (my headliner sagged again which is unfortunate), drivers seatbelt has a shitton of play in it, and the glove box isn't closing properly. All stuff I will need to mess with in the daytime. I attempted to record the video of the exhaust with the straight pipe but the quality didn't turn out like I had hoped so I didn't upload it. Maybe some other time I'll have a proper video!

I ordered some new door pins and rollers off of ebay tonight for a total of $34.97, so my hope is that the drivers door will close properly, and if so maybe I'll go through the work to pop the dent out and run this door until another red one pops up.

I also decided that I'll be installing the quad beam headlights that were factory on the 88/89 silverados, I have a set laying around. The reason behind this is the glass composite ones on it right now I cannot adjust for the life of me, and I broke the plastic thing the adjuster screw sits in on one of the headlights which really sucks because the housings were $100 and the high/low beam bulbs were a total of $120 for all 4. Oh well sometimes factory is just better. I wish my grille was in better shape. I tossed around the idea of a 94+ grille, but I am thinking I should stick with age appropriate grilles although I favor the newer ones much more.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Well it's flooding pretty bad over here, I've never ever seen it as bad as it is. I went out to the red truck and the entire house/property was now in a river.

I still decided to drive the truck through some flooding anyway! I went through this one crossing and was given the okay to go through it by a city cop in the Chevy. Needless to say, I received lots of thumbs up (including the cop) for making it through.

Some flood pics, they said that Susan River would reach 14.1" at 10pm tonight, last I checked it was at 15" at 3pm. Yes that's a city cop two cars in front of me and I still took pictures lol.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
.....I am watching PY0 rims and tires pop up for $250 on average, and I like PY0s on these trucks so that will probably be what I do.
funny you said that: yesterday i was snooping the upper storage at work and spotted a set of PYO's with tires mounted. looked brand new except for the tires, maybe 20K on em. asked about em but no one knew anything so will have to ask the boss when he returns. hope to get em free.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Nothing crazy for today. I did make time to swap over the age-appropriate headlights, and I am much happier with them. Don't get me wrong I loved how the composite style glass headlights looked, however the 88/89 housings are not white light, but they are properly aimed so I can live with it. I'm thinking I'll be taking out the little spacers so the turn signals sit back farther, it really bugs me.

I also tried to install a light in the middle light inside the cab, however it has power 24/7 so I need to figure out why that is like that, with headlights off, door closed, dimmer switch at it's lowest point the light is still on.

This weekend I have a few things planned for it, and we will be using it like a work truck once again. I need to grab the bumper and grille that was on this and put them on my 6.5 so I can list it for sale.

gstubbz

Reaction score
@Jorge6.5 you were right. I didn't have the door panel on the drivers side so it wasn't pushing that button in, but now it works like it should!

So here was my weekend update. I was driving around on Saturday night, and was driving down a county road with a car behind me, then the truck started stuttering and I completely lost all power. I pull off to the side of the road, and the lights come back on. At this point I smell electrical burn, and upon further inspection I found the 10GA wire running from the junction block to my power seats had melted on the header. So a 5 minute patch and I'm back on the road. I properly fixed it the next morning. I didn't know it was for the seat, had I knew I would have just cut the wire at the junction block rather than try to fix it temporarily.

Then I drove it some more, drove it out to Joe's house to see how his truck was doing, he just got done installing a rebuilt carbed 454 and a turbo 400, and between riding in his and my truck, mine is so much faster. I almost want to keep those 3.42s but it's inevitable that my planned SAS will have 4.10s.

I also test fitted some 37s. Just kidding, I'll run 37s once my SAS is done. Everyone keeps giving me **** about my rusty rims!

Oh and my wipers now like to work automatically, so I'm probably going to pull the steering column apart and fix the broken tilt steering at the same time in the future. Hopefully I'll have my door pins delivered today so I can finally swap those in.

Last edited:

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
wipers could be circuit board. three torx screws hold the cover on. it just pulls out after plug removed. i replaced mine with an s10 one. bring your old one into salvage yard to match up. there are 2 different types.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Another little update. The headlights decided to stop working via the switch, so luckily I had another switch that was a year old in my 6.5 (which was useless to that truck anyway since it now has a 98 dash), installed the new switch, and the lights work as they should. The roller also works to turn on the interior light whereas the other didn't!

Tyler found some Firestone Transforce 265/75/16 tires on his property that are in good shape, one has a nail so I need to patch it. Whenever I get around to this project (probably the weekend) I'll clean the rims up and paint them black then mount these on there. That way I don't need to make a trip to Reno and blow even more money on this thing... and other things lol

gstubbz

Reaction score
wipers could be circuit board. three torx screws hold the cover on. it just pulls out after plug removed. i replaced mine with an s10 one. bring your old one into salvage yard to match up. there are 2 different types.

I'll look into that! Good to know the s10 ones will work too. For the meantime they decided to work properly again. It must be self healing lol