1988 chevy c1500 alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Jay

Reaction score
Hello, i have the stock alternator on my 1988 chevy c1500 with the 305. Im adding an 800 watt audio system to my truck and i want my alternator replaced. Is there any "HO" alternator from anther gm vehicle that is a direct swap to my truck? Or do i have to buy a brand new after market?

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a 105 amp alternator swap. You'll have to search on forum. I bought a 140 amp postmaster and run 1100 watt system and air compressors and it hasn't shown signs of stress yet. And it was under 200 bucks

Old Jay

Reaction score
There is a 105 amp alternator swap. You'll have to search on forum. I bought a 140 amp postmaster and run 1100 watt system and air compressors and it hasn't shown signs of stress yet. And it was under 200 bucks

Did you need anything else like a longer belt?
Was it a direct bolt on?

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope stock belt, i ran larger 1/0 gauge wiring to it, and grounded it with same size wire. I have 2 444c Viair compressors and a large stereo system playing on it, not all at same time of course but she handles it pretty decently.