1988 C1500 350 carb size? Two PCV valves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello again everyone, I’ve installed a pretty mild cam (CL12-249-4), I’m very happy with the power gains. I plan on running some vortec heads with Z28 springs, I also have short tube headers, and I have a duel plane intake I’ll install when I get the vortex heads. My question is, what size and type of carb should I get? And how much power should this combo generate? Will my trans/converter be able to handle it?

My other question is this, during my cam install I noticed two tubes coming out of my left and right valve covers, I have since replaced the valve covers with chrome ones, and added a push in pcv breather that connects to my tbi on the passenger side, and a normal push in breather on the drivers side.

I’m curious if I should add a second PCV breather on the drivers side, I have since blocked off the hose that connects to the air cleaner adapter the sits on the tbi unit. Should I leave it blocked off or connect it to something?

Thanks

Slade

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Either an edelbrock 650, or better yet put a qjet on it that was rebuilt by someone that knows them. They are very good carbs for performance and fuel milage with those tiny primaries and huge Secondaries.

I would also say try something like Fitech or holley sniper, but you have made up your mind and I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest of carb vs efi vs tbi vs your buddy feeding it with a coke bottle.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
I don't like holley carbs very much, just my preference. Not really a fan of side bowls and blown power valves.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this to LSX Swaps + Carb Swaps.

An 800 Q-jet is my go-to carb; but not on computer-controlled vehicles. An '88 1500 may have the crappiest front brakes ever put on a GMT400 (JN3) and any 1500 will have the terrible rear brakes unless it was ordered with the heavy-duty rear. Fix the brakes before you add more power.

There's no need for two PCV valves. A fresh-air intake on one cover, leading to filtered air from the air cleaner. A PCV valve in the other cover, leading to a large manifold vacuum port. Just like stock. Make sure aftermarket valve covers have proper PCV baffles, many don't.

Last edited:

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would a 650 size thunder series avs 2 with electric choke be sufficient for my application
Either an edelbrock 650, or better yet put a qjet on it that was rebuilt by someone that knows them. They are very good carbs for performance and fuel milage with those tiny primaries and huge Secondaries.

I would also say try something like Fitech or holley sniper, but you have made up your mind and I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest of carb vs efi vs tbi vs your buddy feeding it with a coke bottle.
I’ve heard bad things about EFI, that’s originally what I wanted to do, but after dealing with the computer of my TBI during a cam swap I think it would work a lot better for me to be able to control everything my engine is doing by hand, and not a computer

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
That carb should be plenty as long as it's adjusted correctly. Just remember to put a fuel pressure regulator somewhere in line and don't go over 6 or 7 psi.