1988-1995 Clutch pedal vs 1996-1998 Clutch pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
So im swapping an sm465 from an early gmt400 in my 1998 and I got a pedal from a 1993 not knowing that they changed them throughout the years.

The 88-95 pedal bracket uses two diagonal studs to mount the bracket and master cylinder to the fire wall while the 96-98 uses some kind of twist lock system and two horrizontal studs I believe. Has anyone used the 88-95 pedal bracket in a 96-98? By the looks of it all id have to do is re drill the holes in the firewall.

below is the 96-98 pedal/ master design:

You must be registered for see images attach

88-95:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Old post but since we got a new person wondering...

It can be done but it'll be a hack, and a sonofabitch to get it just right. On the 96-up truck the firewall sheetmetal is setup just for this type of clutch master; there are several layers of steel and two different sized holes. The bracket bolts in and has a square hole in it, then you put the master cylinder in and clock it into the square hole, while the ridges formed by the different sized holes help retain it.

I did a 96-up swap (engine, trans, harness, interior, everything) into a 94 and this was probably the stupidest part of the whole job. Obviously you can't easily reproduce this section of the firewall. I just kept enlarging the hole with a die grinder until I could just barely get the m/c to go in, then I used a large rubberized plastic washer to shim behind it to make an interference fit so it couldn't twist back out of the bracket.

Here's the 96-up firewall to make it clear...clutch master cylinder removed, but bracket bolted in place:

Richard

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m aware it’s an old post.. there’s not much tech in the new posts.. thanks for the response.. I see the intentions in my firewall to have it mount as the pic shows, but the donee truck is a 92 or 94.. it has the old design.. I’m sure I can make either work at the firewall just wondering about under the dash.. I know there are 2 different designs.. just hoping to make what I have work.. 5spd 95-99 gmt400s are getting pretty rare lol

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for getting this old post competed with some useful information. There are too many threads with loose ends. I suggest we all "wrap up" a thread when a solution is found (or not found). I don't have a helluva lot to contribute but I do try to do that and ask others to do the same. How many have you read and wondered "How did that come out? "

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a complete 92 parts truck... I hope I can make it work..

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
I believe the question that was not answered is will the 88-95 pedal and bracket work in the 96-98?

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the question that was not answered is will the 88-95 pedal and bracket work in the 96-98?

When I did my NV4500 swap, it took three different calls/request to LKQ to finally get thr 96+ clutch pedal/bracket. Two times they sent the older verson and it was easier finding the correct pedal than trying to make the other one work. In short, I’m sure it could work, but as others have said, it would take some extra modifications.

Definitey worth it to just find the correct pedal. Fits perfectly and looks stock.