1950 F-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Cool truck. Even better story. You have a following here so please keep us posted with your progress. One of my buddies has a '49 that's lowered/minitubbed, and wearing a 500 horse 383 sbc. Built ford tough with all chevy stuff.

seanb98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured I would drop back in real quick, but nothing much new to update yet, got the cab about 1/3 of the way sanded. Having good weather out this way, so I've been at the farm sun up to sundown lately. Looks like we will have rain set back in on Friday, so I'll probably have the the time to finish sanding next weekend.

seanb98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little more progress tonight. Have the cab 3/4 of the way block sanded wet in 400 grit. Pretty much everything except the back panel. The roof went relatively quickly, but the dash, the door jams, cowl, and the "fast" job on the firewall took what seemed to be forever. I have around 15 hours into sanding this coat of primer so far. Or maybe I am being too picky about how nice it has to be. It will be done eventually, I'm not getting in a rush - going to try and do it as good as I possibly can. Maybe I'm being a little optimistic, but I'm hoping to get the back panel sanded in the next couple of days, then have the next coat of primer on before this coming weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going to reprime why 400 grit? I would have dry sanded with 220 or 180 then reprime. 400 is for final sanding. Nothing wrong with what you are doing just making a lot of extra work imo. I have found in doing production work that laying an extra coat or two of primer then blocking with 180 dry then wet sand with 400 and paint is the quickest way to paint. Been trying different things for 40 years and this works best for me.

seanb98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to reprime why 400 grit? I would have dry sanded with 220 or 180 then reprime. 400 is for final sanding. Nothing wrong with what you are doing just making a lot of extra work imo. I have found in doing production work that laying an extra coat or two of primer then blocking with 180 dry then wet sand with 400 and paint is the quickest way to paint. Been trying different things for 40 years and this works best for me.
Clearly I don't know what I'm doing in this case, basically learning as I'm going. So - now that I've gone to all the work to sand most of it out in 400, will mixing reducer with the primer thin it out enough to lay down smoother on the final coat of primer that will be sanded out in 600 grit?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it will help. I am not saying you are doing it wrong only you are doing it the hard way. When you go to reprime I would put a little base coat in the first coat of primer just enough to tint so when you do final sanding you will know if you are getting close to original primer. I find that when sanding filler or primer the very top sands toughest and clogs paper the most. If you just break the top coat with a little courser paper it will sand easier. Just be sure you get all the rougher grip scratches out before top coat. If you thin the primer more you will want a few extra coats extra drying time for the extra solvent to evaporate.

I use a 4 to 1 primer and add just over 1 part of reducer. So 4 to 1 to 1 1/2

seanb98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it will help. I am not saying you are doing it wrong only you are doing it the hard way. When you go to reprime I would put a little base coat in the first coat of primer just enough to tint so when you do final sanding you will know if you are getting close to original primer. I find that when sanding filler or primer the very top sands toughest and clogs paper the most. If you just break the top coat with a little courser paper it will sand easier. Just be sure you get all the rougher grip scratches out before top coat. If you thin the primer more you will want a few extra coats extra drying time for the extra solvent to evaporate.

I use a 4 to 1 primer and add just over 1 part of reducer. So 4 to 1 to 1 1/2
Thanks for the suggestions! Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Well, I finished sanding in 400 last night, so stayed up really late and shot another coat of primer. This time I added 1 part of reducer. It is a 4:1 polyester primer. So I mixed 4:1:1. Laid down quite nicely as compared to the last coat. It seems as though prepping with the 400 may have actually been worth it rather than a total waste of time, I sanded about half the top of the roof tonight in 600 wet, and it is sanding really nice and easy. Less than half the effort it was to get it sanded out in the 400.

I didn't do any kind of guide coat, but it is very smooth already so I doubt that I'll have to worry much about sanding too far since I just barely sanded through in a few small spots with the 400. In theory this will be the last coat of primer and the last of the sanding on the cab until later when I sand the clear. Once this is sanded out I'll be shooting a thin layer of sealer, and top-coating with base/clear before it cures.