1500 Hydroboost Conversion Part Numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't the pedals different?

Yes the pedals for Hydroboost are different from a vacuum setup. 88-94 use one pedal an 95+ use a different pedal. You can use either setup in any truck as long as the booster an the pedal match.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
^ thats what i was confused on, i ither do a complete setup from an 88-94 or 95-98 no mixing those eras so to say. but 95-98s fit on 88-94 and the other way around. thanks Paul

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ thats what i was confused on, i ither do a complete setup from an 88-94 or 95-98 no mixing those eras so to say. but 95-98s fit on 88-94 and the other way around. thanks Paul

Ya when I was researching it I saw quite a few guys that used 88-94 stuff on the 95+ trucks. I dont remember seeing anyone using the newer stuff on older trucks but I read quite a few threads on alot of boards about it. If you dont want to swap pedals you dont have to, but you have to cut the end that attaches to the pedal off both boosters and use the one from the vacuum booster on the hydro. Most people just thread them and use a coupling nut to attach them back together.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill probably grab the pedal anyways, physically they arent much different are they? its just how and where the rod mounts correct?

Correct the booster rod mounts higher on the pedal and the stud is larger. Here is some good pics of what you have to do to use a stock vacuum booster pedal. I also forgot you have to change the mounting plate on the bootser to one that centers it in the hole on the firewall for correct geometry with the push rod.

http://forum.gmtruckcentral.com/showthread.php/276-Brake-Booster-Took-A-Dump-Hydo-Upgrade/page8

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
the booster doesnt have its own mounting plate on these? i was under the impressoin that everything from pedal-booster-master cylinder-prop valve-steering box-and everything else im missing would be a direct swap.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the booster doesnt have its own mounting plate on these? i was under the impressoin that everything from pedal-booster-master cylinder-prop valve-steering box-and everything else im missing would be a direct swap.

It does but its offset which is why the hydro pedal rod mount is higher on the pedal than a vac one. If you want to use the vac pedal you need the plate. If you use the hydro pedal its all a bolt on....

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
well i found a 96 k3500 dumb truck, guy seems reasonable wants like 100 bucks for the whole thing if i pull it. i figured thats worht it since i already have 1 ton brake and stainless braided lines all around. i can zero lash that gear box and rebuild it then ill also have no setering play whatsoever. whtever is leftover ill keep around, sell, scrap , or give it away to whomeever may need it on here.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i found a 96 k3500 dumb truck, guy seems reasonable wants like 100 bucks for the whole thing if i pull it. i figured thats worht it since i already have 1 ton brake and stainless braided lines all around. i can zero lash that gear box and rebuild it then ill also have no setering play whatsoever. whtever is leftover ill keep around, sell, scrap , or give it away to whomeever may need it on here.

Sounds like a plan. That thread on GM central talks about rebuilding the booster yourself as well. You can do it for about $40 as opposed to paying $200+ for one from the parts store. Thats what I'm going to do and I'm getting a new master instead of a used/reman one. Just dont trust them, a new raybestos ones is a little over $60 shipped from rock auto. Same price as the reman at the local store. I'll feel much better with a new one for the same price. I've already got the big calipers and braided lines as well...

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I'll have to do more digging but if I have questions ill ask you lol. I understand the concept but don't know each piece involved and the vest route to go as to replacing it rebuilding components