1500 heavy half 14 bolt Qs:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Full floaters are only 31

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
... axles measure 1.345"... the full floaters are only 1.5"...

no c clip elims- moser and others use Gran Torino 9" ends to keep axles retained...

idk if you can convert sf to ff...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not so sure on a drum interchange from the 6 lug 9.5" 14 bolt to any 5 lug off a 10 bolt; even the big drums you get on a Suburban or a longbed extended cab seem (in my somewhat fuzzy memory) to be a little smaller (narrower?) than the monster drums on a 7200lb gvw 2500. It's been a while though since I had both right in front of me to compare.

When I did a redrill on one from 6x5.5 to 5x5 the axles and drums both got drilled so I could retain all those parts.

Richard

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Just because some people call them that, doesn't make it correct... Fact is there is not "heavy half" package for these trucks, just the F44 Heavy Duty Suspension.

Okay, I hate to get snobby, but this thread is a little bit ridiculous. Do you know anything about the square body trucks? I would assume you do. You seem like a smart man. The "heavy half" trucks from the 80s, guess what their RPO code was? F44. Guess what it stood for? Heavy duty chassis. There was no RPO code that actually designated a truck a heavy half. That's the exact same as the GMT400s, so if they were heavy halves, so are any GMT400s with the F44 code.

And about your GVWR rules.. You're right, it doesn't make it a class 4 truck. But we've already determined that "heavy halves" don't exist, so anything with a higher GVWR than a 1/2 ton but lower than a 3/4 ton can be called whatever someone wants it to be. By the way, if you registered your truck for 20k GVWR - you'd have to follow all the same rules a class 4 truck does anyways.

Edit: Before someone says it, yes I know the heavy halves had different decals. That was just a marketing thing from GM and didn't even have an RPO code. It was literally an option when you ordered the truck, but you could only order it if you had the F44 RPO and it was included in that package.

Last edited:

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys- OP (me) used the term to draw the attention of people who have information and research to share.

Instead of mucking up the thread with BS about nomenclature- submit something of value.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not so sure on a drum interchange from the 6 lug 9.5" 14 bolt to any othher 10 bolt...

I meant use the drum as a trmplatr to drill the flanges one's self.
Thats where I am at: counting the cost of running a drum to drum 14 bolt from a 7200gvw 2x4...

If the drums on it the 14sf ill fit in the 15s, ill make them work.

FYI narrowing a 14 bolt would cost damn near $800 in materials alone, and thats replacing a set of perfectly good axles.

But I have no room to spare currently with the 10 bolts WMS amd 325/50r15 Drag Radials

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
FYI narrowing a 14 bolt would cost damn near $800 in materials alone, and thats replacing a set of perfectly good axles.

But I have no room to spare currently with the 10 bolts WMS amd 325/50r15 Drag Radials

Are the 2500LD 14sf wider than the 1500 10 bolts? I don't think the track width changed on my 96 K1500, but maybe that's because it was a 4x4?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I meant use the drum as a trmplatr to drill the flanges one's self.
Thats where I am at: counting the cost of running a drum to drum 14 bolt from a 7200gvw 2x4...

If the drums on it the 14sf ill fit in the 15s, ill make them work.

I gotcha, template.

I think you'll be OK with the 9.5" 14 bolt drums fitting in a 15" wheel, but I can't say I've tried. They fit 16" stock wheels with no issue, obviously, and I don't think they are any larger in diameter than the large drums on a 10 bolt with the "big brakes" like I mentioned earlier, and all those trucks run 15's.

Never looked into narrowing a 14 bolt but a chassis builder I know does a lot of business in narrowing 10.5" full floaters, not sure who his customers are, but he does more than a few of them. I wonder if they're just re-splining those axles though instead of replacing.

Richard

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Okay, I hate to get snobby, but this thread is a little bit ridiculous. Do you know anything about the square body trucks? I would assume you do. You seem like a smart man. The "heavy half" trucks from the 80s, guess what their RPO code was? F44. Guess what it stood for? Heavy duty chassis. There was no RPO code that actually designated a truck a heavy half. That's the exact same as the GMT400s, so if they were heavy halves, so are any GMT400s with the F44 code.

And about your GVWR rules.. You're right, it doesn't make it a class 4 truck. But we've already determined that "heavy halves" don't exist, so anything with a higher GVWR than a 1/2 ton but lower than a 3/4 ton can be called whatever someone wants it to be. By the way, if you registered your truck for 20k GVWR - you'd have to follow all the same rules a class 4 truck does anyways.

Edit: Before someone says it, yes I know the heavy halves had different decals. That was just a marketing thing from GM and didn't even have an RPO code. It was literally an option when you ordered the truck, but you could only order it if you had the F44 RPO and it was included in that package.
I'm quite aware of the F44 package and it's existence before the GMT400 platform. Another interesting fact is the F44 RPO was used on 3500 trucks as well which bumped the GVWR from 10k to 11k or 12k depending on application. F44 package wasn't limited to just 1/2tons... And even you yourself admit that the "Heavy Half" was a package, tied to the F44 suspension...

I'm not trying to be ridiculous, or be an ass or anything of the sort. What I am trying to do is post facts - whether or not you or anyone else wants to call them what they are or some arbitrary name is up to you. It's just like calling these trucks OBS, or claiming things like 1500 crewcabs in GMT400s were a factory built truck makes things confusing. I see so, so much mis-information talked about and posted on related to these trucks, and find it better to take the factual approach myself.

I've been in the GMT400 truck community basically since the dawn of the internet. I don't just go spouting off random things or try to entice drama. I also like to not belittle people while having a discussion. I'm sorry but your tone towards me I do not appreciate and I wish to take this no further.