14bolt SF disk or drums?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USCG9871

Reaction score
First post on this forum, been using it for years but finally decided to join.

I recently started working on my 98 1500, it's been sitting for 5 years. The rear 10 bolt went out, I joined the coast guard and let it sit. Well I bought a SF 14 bolt with matching 3.73 6 lug. I have the new axle installed. I'm paused at brakes. Either route I choose I'm going to need the entire rear set up. I'm looking to spend the least amount of money and get the best brakes possible. I've looked up kits and can't seem to find one for the SF 14. I've contacted lugnut4x4 about the kit they had and he said they are working on a new one that's not ready yet. I'd hate to spend the money on all new drum brakes and find out theres an awesome disk conversion for the same price or cheaper. Any ideas? Should I just go with the drums? I don't want to wait any longer. And is there a disk setup that doesn't involve taking the axles out? I know how and have done it on the 10 bolt After it gave me nightmares when the c clip fell out and I nearly lost my right rear tire and axle driving in the neighborhood.(a shim ate its self and gave the c clip enough play to slide out). I'd rather not take the 14 bolt axles out because I just got it on the truck and all new fluid in.

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still learning myself. I'm going to use 99+ 1/2ton rear disks, calipers, brackets and rotors on a 14 9.5.

From what I've read so far that will work. We'll see. I'm going to pick up all the brake parts I need for $40. I figure with pads paint hardware and misc I might be out $100

This truck is a focused project for me and swapping in a 9.5 14bolt with 4.10's, a limited slip and disks knocks out a LARGE portion of the list of things planned

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm looking into this too. I'm gonna be throwing a trutrac into my axle so I'm removing the shafts anyways, I just can't machine anything and I don't have the ability to weld.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit