13" NBS rear disc on 14 bolt SF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTAmazing

Reaction score
This is also on FSC so It might look familiar.

So my truck has looked like this for about a month since my 10 bolt took a dump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Knowing this would happen eventually I had picked up a rusty old 14 bolt semi about 3 months prior that came with a matching front ifs and 4.11 for $100. (4.11 for sale BTW)It was a good Craigslist score but not one part of the brakes was useable. So after pricing out all the new parts for the drums I decided it would be cheaper to do a disc conversion. So after some careful planning a few wrong parts and lot's of time trying to figure out what parts go with what I ended up with all this.

From a local wrecking yard I got twin piston calipers and brackets of a 02 Escalade. The brackets have the same bolt pattern as the 14 bolt and with the use of a a spacer I machined myself they bolted together perfectly. The rotors are summit brand and the pads are EBC green stuff. Ordering the rotors and pads can get trickey due to the way some parts stores list out the options. I used 13" rotors that are 3 3/4 overall height and 2 piston calipers. The other option is 12.8" rotors that are 3 23/64" Overall Height and single piston calipers.

The only part of the swap I didn't like was the position of the caliper brackets. There is no left and right to them so you have to rotate them to put the caliper in the correct location but this puts the parking brake in mismatched position. I chose to put the caliper on the backside of the axle. This was all good for the drivers side the parking brake came out level at 6 o'clock. But the passenger side the the parking brake cable comes out straight towards the ground. I could get around this by rotating the caliper 90 degrees counter clockwise but then it would be down low at 8 o'clock. This thing sees mud and I wasn't to keen on a caliper down in the mud. The other option would be 90 degrees the other direction . This would make it a mirror image of the drivers side with the caliper on the front side of the axle and the ebrake cable exiting the towards the rear. This would probably be the best but it puts the bleeder screw at the bottom. You could buy a second left side caliper to solve the problem. With all that being said I didn't do any of it. I left the drivers side good where it was and the pass. side with the cable pointing down. I spent enough money on everything else I wans't going to get a new caliper.

And this would definatly not work with 15" rims I have 16" classic 2's and the is about 1/4" of clearence between the rim and caliper.

The end of the ebrake cable is also different. I haven't tackled that yet but have a pretty good plan on what to do.

I also did a u-bolt flip 5.13 gears and a trutrac while I was at it.

Sorry if this I too long but I wanted to include some of the details for people thinking of this swap.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I'm glad I found one with good brake hardware. Great write up, nice to see a somewhat factory looking disc setup.

GTAmazing

Reaction score

Just cause I'm a nice guy, this is how I made it. The drawing is not perfect but it gets the point across. also the .375 radi around the outside could be omitted. They are just for clearance of the dustshields/backing plates.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can you tell me a little about the u bolt flip..

everything looks sharp by the way, ive got a gutted 14 bolt shell in my garage and an elocker, a yukon install kit, and 4.88s laying in the house

not sure about the bolt flip whats the purpose does it hang on to the axle better or what

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! This is how I would do mine if I had to do it over again.

GTAmazing

Reaction score
The u-bolt flip uses round bolts that go around the axle and the plate goes on top of the leaf spring unlike the stock setup that is square bolts around the springs and a plate under the axle.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the purpose of the 0.500 lip on the left side of the right pic? Does it go all the way around or just on two sides. What would you charge for a set of spacers?

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the purpose of the 0.500 lip on the left side of the right pic? Does it go all the way around or just on two sides. What would you charge for a set of spacers?

The drawing is odd in that the section view seems to leave out the material out of plane, but from the top view you can see the lip is actually a .500 deep counterbore. I would guess it's to locate the spacer concentrically to the axle centerline on an existing boss.

GTAmazing

Reaction score
The drawing is odd in that the section view seems to leave out the material out of plane, but from the top view you can see the lip is actually a .500 deep counterbore. I would guess it's to locate the spacer concentrically to the axle centerline on an existing boss.

The more people ask about the drawing the more I realize how effed up it is. I guess I just drew it that way cause I knew what it was supposed to look like and how it worked. My autocad isn't exactly great either I had one semester of training in college about 10 years ago. But the .500 deep section is exactly what bggrnchvy said it is.