12 bolt rear end vs 14 bolt rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
12 bolt rear-end vs 14 bolt rear-end? I see a lot of 10 bolt to 14 bolt conversions.
My 3/4 ton has a 14 bolt in it, but it will stay there. Paw's 73 GMC 454 1/2 ton has a 12 bolt in it, this my donor truck.

Will it work? Good vs bad? I don't have my project truck yet, but it will be a 88-94 RCSB truck.
I am trying to get all my ducks in a row, so I can figure out where to start.

~PG

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're using the '73 454 as a donor for whatever 88-94 you get, if the 88-94 is a half ton with the 10 bolt, you could certainly consider swapping in that old 12 bolt - it's stronger than the 10, that's for sure. Measure the width though, to the wheel mounting surfaces; IIRC it may be narrower than the GMT400 rear. Then again, great excuse to stick some wider wheels out there for more tire providing you can get the width and backspacing where you need it.

Richard

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going out to my place in Cooks Point today for something else I will check it out then.

Backside of the wheel will work? It's sitting outside, and I will have to scoot under it and check.... The ground is too soft to jack it up. 8=(

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
12 bolt truck rear ends are hard to find parts for. The 14 SF is marginally stronger, has lockers available, and you can buy parts for it anywhere.