10 bolt to 14 bolt swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
So like they said, 14 bolt semi float will be 6 lug. What you have is a 14b full float. To swap, you'll need the 14 bolt u bolt plates (upper and lower) and a conversion u joint (Oreilly's had the one I needed in stock). You may have brake lock up in the rear as well even though all brake parts from the booster to the wheel cylinders (? those may be different, it's been a while) are the same between 10 bolt and 14 bolt sf. Just something to keep in mind and be prepared for.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are sf 14 bolt 8 lugs to, not just the 6 luggers.as for the bigger brakes on the sf 14 bolts with the 13" drums, you will need the proportioning valve off the 3/4 ton. Or an after market one ran on the rear brake line to adjust the pressure.

obxjake

Reaction score
I was messing around under my trucks as I'm getting ready to swap the 4L80 out of my K2500 into my K1500. I have the 14 bolt under my 2500 and the 10 under my 1500. Would I be able to swap the rear axle out of my 2500 into the 1500? I did some measuring and it looked like where the leafs mount up is the same distance on both axles. I read somewhere about moving spring perches. But both axles have two it looks like
You must be registered for see images attach

Shock mounts also measure up the same. So my next question is if this axle will work, would I be able to use the axle shafts off my 1500 to keep all four wheels six lug or could I use the knuckles up front from my 2500? I did some comparing and it doesn't appear that anything up front will swap over.
My main reason for all this is that maybe everything will agree when I do my 4L80 if I just swap over the whole drive line

obxjake

Reaction score
I was messing around under my trucks as I'm getting ready to swap the 4L80 out of my K2500 into my K1500. I have the 14 bolt under my 2500 and the 10 under my 1500. Would I be able to swap the rear axle out of my 2500 into the 1500? I did some measuring and it looked like where the leafs mount up is the same distance on both axles. I read somewhere about moving spring perches. But both axles have two it looks like
You must be registered for see images attach

Shock mounts also measure up the same. So my next question is if this axle will work, would I be able to use the axle shafts off my 1500 to keep all four wheels six lug or could I use the knuckles up front from my 2500? I did some comparing and it doesn't appear that anything up front will swap over.
My main reason for all this is that maybe everything will agree when I do my 4L80 if I just swap over the whole drive line

obxjake

Reaction score
Be Careful if this is a 4x4....different gear ratios in 2500 rear than 1500 and will have to swap front axles as well. Don't see the purpose ...will get less gas mileage.Jake

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
It is very much possible to do a full IFS K1500 to K2500 swap. Did it to my truck and love it so much more! Gas mileage is worse but, you get more towing power, and you look cooler. :cool: But I do highly recommend you just resurrect the K2500 if possible, as @Jorge6.5 said. This is not as easy job doing a K1500 to K2500 full IFS swap, I never plan to do it again to a different truck.

Rear end pops in no problems, I think the model of converter you need is a 448 I believe. Can't remember the brand, got the part at O'Reilly, it was a mostly yellow box with blue on it.