1 ton into half ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharky1

Reaction score
I just stripped a 90 gmc 3500 4x4 reg cab long bed 454 pick up and it had t400, 373 gears with factory locker and full floater rear end. I have a 93 1500 4x4 350 5 speed with 342 gears extended cab short bed and want to put the 373 front and rear end in my half ton. My questions are
1… what do I need to make the 1 ton ifs front end work in the half ton( spindles, ball joints, tie rod ends,etc)?
2… will the 1 ton front end bolt in with out fabing?
3… will I need to have a new rear drive shaft made or will 1 of the 2 fit (long bed reg cab 1 ton steel drive shaft or half ton extended cab short bed aluminum drive shaft)?

I think that's all my questions as of right now. Any help would be great. Thanx in advance

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
from what ive been told before the 1 ton ifs is a 9.25? ring gear and the half ton is a 8.25 so the front ends are completely different and wont bolt into each others place

sharky1

Reaction score
Thanx for the info on that. What If I had the mounts from the 1 ton front end or will it still not fit?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You would need to do some fabrication because the mounting locations for the bigger front diff are different.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Rear end will bolt in with a conversion u-joint.

Front end will basically require you to refabricate everything. Its not that it can't be done, its just that for the work, you could swap in a solid axle instead so nobody bothers doing it.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Front end will basically require you to refabricate everything. Its not that it can't be done, its just that for the work, you could swap in a solid axle instead so nobody bothers doing it.

x2. Researched and measured this one time. Everything is the same only different if you get what I mean. I'd either go SAS or if you want to save some money, sell the K3500 stuff and pick up a 6-bolt hub 14 bolt rear out of a 1500HD/2500LD. They seem to be getting a little hard to find but they are around. Diesel K1500s are good parts trucks to find them in.
Good luck.

sharky1

Reaction score
Thanx fellas! So anyone interested in some parts? Sell or trade lol

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would be better off to swap your cab onto the 3500 frame, unfortunately it would still be a half ton by the VIN.