‘97 5.7 automatic backfire go BOOM!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And why it's not a good idea to leave the keys in any vehicle when kids are around.... especially if said kids' parental units haven't explained to them that the car/truck being worked on is not their playroom.
Back in the early 80s when I was in high school, I learned one of my friends, when he was little, had been playing in a van that his grandpa was under, working on it. He accidentally put the van in gear, it came off the stands, and killed his grandpa. Now it was a tragic accident that didn't have to happen, and he was little enough that he really didn't know not to get in the van, but he is carrying that guilt for the rest of his life.
That’s terrible!!!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That’s terrible!!!
Yep! And I knew this guy for 4 years, went to school with him and to school sports stuff, and never would've guessed. He was our quarterback, dated a cheerleader, smart, kind of a class clown, seemed like someone who had it all figured out. I went to Catholic high school, and at the end of our senior year, the school had a 3 day weekend retreat. The last night, everyone got up and talked to the rest of us and the teachers that came with the class as chaperones. 85 kids in my graduating class, and I learned things about them that were amazing and tragic. I was one of the last to speak before the group, and I think I just told everyone that I appreciated what they had done for me during our time in school, and I appreciated their friendship. I was younger than the rest of them; I turned 17 a month after graduation.
That was in 1984, and some of the things that the "kids" talked about gave me chills. One of my other friends' family had been involved in a locally famous murder case; turned out the killer had worked for the family at one time and had a grievance that he felt never got resolved. Helluva way to do it....
And this school was in the nicer part of Houston! Some of the prominent Houston families sent their kids there. I went there because it was way better than public school and I had family that would pay for it. At the time, the suburb we lived in didn't have their own public school; a few years later they did, and that's where my younger brother went. His class has its own share of tragedies; war dead, murder victims, kids that were in bad car wrecks.
You just never know what people have been through.....