GMT400 - The Ultimate 88-98 GM Truck Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Register to remove these ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Converting tbi to carb

Just seeing if ya think its a good idea? If so what is all involved? Ive already converted my truck from a 4.3 manual to a 5.7 crate motor with a built 700 r4. But my problem is that i want to go with a hard hitting cam and dont feel like dealing with the obd1. So i have a elderbrock 650 carb and intake mani laying around that needs to be put to use. IMO i think i can put more power down with the carb than with spending alot more money on the tbi or doing another swap. So any suggestions?

The TBIs are very restrictive and don't do well at high rpms. Even if all you did was swap from the tbi to that carb you will definitely notice the power difference. Your gas mileage will also go up believe it or not, that is if you can keep your foot out of it. The TBIs aren't exactly the best choice to go with if your wanting to build power. Putting a carb on it will be a lot cheaper than going to a multi port injection system also.

I was having some issues with my truck just randomly running rough...I changed every sensor, did the new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, icm and even changed the computer and I couldnt figure it out..so i ditched all the electronics and went carb and i must say i like the results...I changed the intake to a holley, im runnig a 650 eldebrock carb with a holley fuel presure regulator and went to a hei distributer...I also put in a very loud B&M gear drive LOL just for the hell of it LOL. MY truck had a 4l60e so i changed to a fresh 700r4 with a shift kit. Its not a race car by any means but it dose fill a little more powerfull then it was and i enjoy it a lot more...

thanks for the replies. So the 700 r4 isnt run off the computer? Soon as i get done working 7 days a week im gonna do it. Still gotta figure what cam to go with also.

The Ecm only control's the torque convertor lockup on a 700R4, you can buy a stand alone kit, that requires no ECM at all.
    95 CC stepside with a 408 stroker LS motor from Texas Speed and built 4L80E
    96 CCSB daily
    93 2DR Blazer 2wd swap in progress
    90 Nissan low MPG truck
    00 CC Dually Tow Pig 53 Chevy 2dr car

I dont think you can go that big a cam with the center bolt heads... but intersted in seeing what you come up with..good luck with the build...

Banned

Holley makes a TPS for carburetor conversions on EFI engines. Much easier than swapping to a 700R.

well it has a 700r4 already in it. Im still debating on the cam size. I have a local shop looking into it for me. Ill post up the details. Cant do it for a few weeks due to my work schedule.

If. I'm not mistaking the centerbolt heads can only handle up to like a 470 lift cam without hitting

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by superninja427 View Post
    If. I'm not mistaking the centerbolt heads can only handle up to like a 470 lift cam without hitting
    The Vortec heads can handle a little more(if I remember correctly) than the TBI heads. Both are center bolt. I think the Vortecs top somewhere around .520 or so. I've seen many TBI heads trying to be passed off as Vortec heads by unknowing/lying sellers. Know what you are buying before you pull the trigger.