GMT400 - The Ultimate 88-98 GM Truck Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Register to remove these ads

Default How much did you spend/ how long did it take for your lift kit install?

Hey guys I'm really curious about lift kits.. I wanna lift my 95 silverado really bad, but I'm a fry cook at long john silvers, (just got a second job at costco too, not many hours), and im going to college. so i know saving up for a lift kit is going to take a while, plus all my friends say 'dude that'd be such a waste of money', but its something I really would love to do.. depdning on price and time.

My 33" mickey thompson tires are balding really bad, and i need to get new ones, but i dont wanna get new ones if i plan on lifting it one day, and end up going bigger!!

basically heres what i'd like to know:

1. How much did it cost to lift your truck?
    (not the cost of the kit.. EVERYTHING, like stuff you werent prepared for, roadblocks etc.)

2. Did you install it yourself or have a shop do it?? whats recommended?

3. How long was your truck out of commission for? a day, two, a month?

I know the answers will vary, but i just wanna get an idea. thanks guys!!
    (p.s. im looking for maybe a 6inch suspension, 3 inch body roughly)

my last truck had a RCD 6" lift installed. researched it and just felt more comfortable letting a shop handle the ifs front end. Bought the lift for $1500, and they charged $600 to install it. they did everything from the lift, included lengthened steel braided brake lines, lengthened the drivelines, and aligned it. picked it up 2 days later and drove straight to les shwab!!! threw on some 38's (also had 3" body lift.....dont do it. regret it) and save the hassle. I think next time I will save money and do a straight axle conversion. can be done cheaper than what I paid for the lift alone. and alot flex'ier....
    98 CCD, vortec 454, 5/7 drop, disk brake rear conv., 98 caddy lights, roll pan, cowl hood, gmc grill, smooth bumper, stretched dually fenders, ipad in dash, alpine deck, 2 alpine type r 12's, 2 8" polk mids, 8 6.5" components, 4 4" coax, bxi2610d sub amp, zxi6410 4 channel, center floor console, ceiling console, and more every other week or so....lol

If your gonna do a solid axle and do it right it should come out being more than that unless you have done it before and know what you are doing. Most IFS lifts and really simple lifts to do by yourself with a few buddies and shouldn't take more than a weekend if you are doing it for the first time and have a some knowledge. I am going to agree with 98crewcab and say not to go with a body lift, at first it's nice if your on a budget and don't have a suspension lift but in the end they look like . I am about to take mine off actually.

GET SOME PHOTOS FOR THE 2014 CALENDAR!!!!!
    http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...mission-Thread

X2 on what dirtyhick said, I'll edit this tomorrow when I'm not half asleep

Pirates don't sleep butch.
    But to stay on topic a 6 inch rcx is 1000(installed by you) plus about 1500-2200 for wheels and tires could be more could be less depending on what you want then about 75 for an alignment and that should have you set for a total cost of what you are looking for.

GET SOME PHOTOS FOR THE 2014 CALENDAR!!!!!
    http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...mission-Thread

if you are tight on money i know 4 wheel parts always has specials going on and they can do the work too. ive never had them do any work for me but i know a few guys that have and it was fairly priced IMO

94ECSB, SAS, 4.88s, HP60 King Pin, 14Bolt Rear, 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers, Bilstein 5150s, Fabtech Steering Stabilizer
    Sig by TLoud

I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhick42 View Post
    Pirates don't sleep butch.
    But to stay on topic a 6 inch rcx is 1000(installed by you) plus about 1500-2200 for wheels and tires could be more could be less depending on what you want then about 75 for an alignment and that should have you set for a total cost of what you are looking for.
    this is pretty accurate account. You can get the wheels and tires for less if you hunt around, but that is very realistic price range to figure in. Also, depending on your stock gearing, plan on doing those too or your truck will be a dog and suck back fuel like a frat boy at a keg party. Gears are worth about 200 a set, and if you want to upgrade your carrier (thats the part that makes a posi for those who dont know) they run 400-900 depending on how fancy you want. Those arent something I would recommend doing on your own unless you know exactly what you are doing. They arent hard, but they are easy to screw up. Remember in a 4wd vehicle the front and rear diff have to have the same ratio.
    97 k1500 ecsb L31
    "You can't spell slaughter with out laughter"

Well there's lift "kits" and lift "systems", the kits are easy peasy, usually blocks/keys/add-a-leafs/shackles - a 3" Block lift with cranking of stock torsion bars (aftermarket keys on an OBS is a waste of money, believe me) is probably the best bet for a budget worker like yourself, you will be looking at around $12.00 a piece for 4 new U-bolts, $35.00 or so for 3" blocks (get tapered), get new shocks, not only because yours are probably shot (if they are the bilsteins that came with truck, if its a z71), but because 3" blocks will max out the rear shocks. It took me a couple hours to do my 2" BDS block lift, I based the prices on what I paid, my blocks were $25.00 because they are 2". I bought stuff separately. But kits are probably a better bang for the buck especially if you get add-a-leafs instead of blocks.

3" Body lift was a couple days, but done with hand tools and a cold garage.
    1996 Chevy K1500 "Old Red" [RIP] 9-10-12
    1998 Chevy K1500 - 5.7 Vortec - 4l60e - 3:73s - 6" RCX Lift - 3" PA Body Lift - TOWZ - 305/70r16 Goodyear Dura-Tracs - Black Housing Headlights - 16x10 American Eagle 186 wheels.
    ( oo == ss == oo )