GMT400 - The Ultimate 88-98 GM Truck Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Register to remove these ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Would you buy used tires?

What's everyone's take on buying used tires? I probably wouldn't if I drove a lot of miles like had a really long commute or lived in a place where there's a lot of snow and rain but I live in california so the weather for the most part is mild. I don't commute a ton. I found some 275/60R20s brand new for about $700 installed, mounted and balanced and with an alignment. With tax maybe closer to $800. Real steep but a necessity cause my tires are shot.

Out of curiosity i started looking on craigslist under auto parts and there are people selling used tires. Some personal and others are used tires dealers. Obviously it would depend on the tire's condition but would you buy used tires?
    For example i found some BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KOs for $350obo. 5 of them for $350obo. One of them is still almost brand new not sure about the others cause the picture is bad. I may go check them out cause they're the size and look I am looking for for so much less than new.

If you ever bought used tires, what do you check for? I would check tread depth, original tread depth to compare and see how much % is left, check side walls for cracks, any punctures or patching and that's about it.
    Thoughts?

Check the date code as well to make sure they are not super old. Otherwise sounds like you have everything else down that I usually check for.

If you don't know how to read the dot codes here is a break down on it

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=11&
    Paul #2 - My opinion is worth exactly what you just paid for it

Sig by Mean Green

'98 Z71 ECSB - the daily
    '78 GMC Sierra 15 - a forever project
    '02 burb - "da bus"

RCX lift kit install tips

http://gmt400.tumblr.com

OBS Enthusiast

I second the DOT code.. A tires shelf life should be no more then 3 years. Also- if you are buying tires already mounted on rims check to see how much weight has been applied to them. A tire with shifted belts or other irregularities may have excessive weights. other then that Im all for used tires!

Inspect them on the inside, too. The inner carcass can tell you some about the tire. Run you're hands around the inside, feeling for any irregularities, which can indicate broken or damaged cords. Some tire shops sell what are called 'take-offs'. Usually original tires (wheels, too) from a new vehicle, that a dealership has had custom wheels installed on for a customer. The tire store gives the dealership a great deal on the new stuff, in exchange for keeping the originals, which they then sell relatively cheap, when compared to buying new.
    Sent from the shallow end of the gene pool.

. AL.

"...you can sleep in a truck..you can't drive a house." (Dagen_1)

Reduce.
    Re-use.
    Reupholster.

Ah gotcha thanks. ill keep that in mind.

check how evenly the tread is too while you are at it. Sometimes from a bad alignment job (or no alignment at all) they are really off kilter.
    Charles

My Build: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...98-K1500-Build

1998 K1500 GMC Sierra Z71 ECSB 5.7 Vortec, True Duals, 110 MPH Cluster, 16 X 10 Procomp 1069 rims, Glasspacks, Stainless Steel Tips, Intake Silencer Removal Mod, 3/4 Ton Springs, Throttle Blade Removal Mod, Cobra CB Radio, 4' CB Whips, 6" RCX Lift, 315/75/16 Mastercraft C/T Tires, 143,XXX Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Vortec Lover View Post
    check how evenly the tread is too while you are at it. Sometimes from a bad alignment job (or no alignment at all) they are really off kilter.
    If it has uneven wear would you not recommend?
    Which would be a better choice, 305/55r20 or 275/60r20?
    They're both 33" but 305 is way wider. Would it clear with a 3" body lift?

275s are brand new but more than twice the cost.

Does anyone have a picture of 305s on 3" bl?

You can run up to 315's with a BL, but usually it is cranked and blocked.
    Charles

My Build: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...98-K1500-Build

1998 K1500 GMC Sierra Z71 ECSB 5.7 Vortec, True Duals, 110 MPH Cluster, 16 X 10 Procomp 1069 rims, Glasspacks, Stainless Steel Tips, Intake Silencer Removal Mod, 3/4 Ton Springs, Throttle Blade Removal Mod, Cobra CB Radio, 4' CB Whips, 6" RCX Lift, 315/75/16 Mastercraft C/T Tires, 143,XXX Miles

Used tires are always a gamble in my opinion. Take off's are fine because they rarely have more than a hundred miles on them. But used sometimes equals abused. Like others have said, look for the DOT code, look at the inner lining, the tread depth and also look at the side walls. If there is any signs of weather cracking, skip it! The outer liner is starting to break down, leading to leaks and potential sidewall failures. It may not be right away, but someday it will.
    1994 GMC Sierra SL 4X4

Bushwacker flares/clear lenses/rear roll pan/ORW Light bar/ HID Conversion low beams/Dynomax 3" exhaust/K&N air filter/Taylor Wires
    XJ steering shaft/Compass-temp mirror/Skyjacker Keys/Cranked on 33's/Still Pretty much stock, but working on it!

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...C-Sierra-Build

I have bought a few sets of tires used and both times it worked out good for me. This last time I knew the guy really well and I knew the tires did not take much abuse.
    Josh

~When we long for life without difficulties, remember that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure. ~
    Vehicles:
    Lucy: 1995 SBEC
    http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...9964-1995-ECSB
    Ethel: 1975 Camaro LT.
    http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...-75-Camaro-LT)
    2000 tahoe LS
    FB
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/josh.weber.12