GMT400 - The Ultimate 88-98 GM Truck Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Register to remove these ads

Default How To: Bleed 6.5L Fuel System

Im just going to do a quick write-up of how to bleed the fuel system on a 1999 6.5L turbo diesel for the limited few of use with a 6.5L diesel. The process should be similar for most 6.5L, but may vary. This is a pretty simple process, but its always nice to have pictures when you are doing it your first time. (Which is what i would have liked, since i am also new)

This first picture is just a view of the engine bay from the drivers side fender.

Next up, you want to find your fuse box. For those of you that dont know where thats at, its right next to the brake master cylinder.

Now take the cover off the fuse box. After that, you have to remove the Fuel Pump Relay. On mine, this was the black relay at the bottom left corner.

Now that you have found the relay, and remove it, you need to open the breather on your fuel filter. Just a few quick turns to the left (Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty) and it will be open.

Now find a peice of wire you have laying around. Doesn't need to be anything special. I used a two inch peice of 18 gauge.

You are now going to jump the fuel pump relay with this piece of wire. I tried to take a picture of the two sections to use your wire on, but it was kind of hard. So, if you look at the fuse like a U, you need to put on end of the wire in the top right, and the other end in the bottom left.

You should be able to hear the lift pump working. If you don't, you either have a wiring problem or your lift pump is shot. If you do hear the pump, within a few seconds (depending on how much air is in there) fuel should start coming out. Stop jumping the fuse, and tighten down the breather on the filter.

Your half way done!:jump: *Hopefully*

Now find the T-handle. It is located to the left of the Oil fill/cap.

Now just like the filter, your going to turn this a few turns to the left to open it up, and then go back to the fuse box and jump the relay the exact same way you did the last time. Soon you should hear fuel coming out. If its like my case, you'll hear it dripping on the ground. This is because Chevrolet put a drain hose on it.

The final picture is with me laying on the ground looking up. You can kind of see the drain hose. In the picture, its right above the two little bolt looking things in the middle :humm:

You may have to repeat this whole process to get it perfectly bleed. Hopefully this helps at least one person!

Good luck, and Happy trucking :c:

Jeramy (aka Saucy)
    - 1994 Chevy 1500. 5.7L. Automatic. 211,000 miles 285/75R16 Treadwright Guard Dogs Sold
    - 1999 Chevy 2500. 6.5L Turbo Diesel. Auto. 295,000 miles. 315/75R16 Cooper S/t's. 3" Body Lift. Turbomaster. Max-e-Tork. Straight 4" exhaust. K&N

gave rep!!,,, i remembered reading this before and i used it to bleed the fuel system when i did some upgrades today,, thanks man!!
    Terry

98 GMC ecsb 2500 6.5l TD auto. cowl hood, muffler and cat delete, black head lights corners and tails, added cab lights, corner light mod, pmd relocation to bumper, 2" blocks and cranked t-bars.. 305/70's on 16"x10" pro comp wheels. demolded. doing some body work now. 3" down pipe into a 4" straight pipe than to 5" aussie stacks. tow mirrors with led turn signals. autometer boost gauge.

BUILD THREAD!!,,,http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...c-build-thread

Thanks man! Im glad someone could get some use out of it. I know there is not a lot of 6.5L members on here, but there is quite a few anonymous users floating around. Im no expert, but if you need any help, let me know. Id be more than willing to share what i have learned with you.

Jeramy (aka Saucy)
    - 1994 Chevy 1500. 5.7L. Automatic. 211,000 miles 285/75R16 Treadwright Guard Dogs Sold
    - 1999 Chevy 2500. 6.5L Turbo Diesel. Auto. 295,000 miles. 315/75R16 Cooper S/t's. 3" Body Lift. Turbomaster. Max-e-Tork. Straight 4" exhaust. K&N

My 97 has a plug behind the fusebox that you can use a jumper wire and do same thing. Thanks, my LP wasn't priming and didn't know how to test the relay that was bad. Now I do. Thanks again.
    97 k2500 6.5 optimizer engine, fs2500,pillar guages, heath tune,a team turbo,stainless braid oil cooler lines,Heath LP,pt wiring solutions battery cables and glow harness,mean green headlight harness. Everything under hood new.