Transfer case stupid question thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
a transfer case is just as the name implies, it transfers a fraction of the power from the transmission to the front differential when engaged..

when not engaged, it simply passes 100% of the power to the rear wheels.. i believe these trucks send about 35-40% of the power to the front wheels when you engage the transfer case, but someone may be able to correct that if i am wrong..

there are many types of t-cases, ranging from chain driven, to gear or sprocket driven.. of course the gear driven one would be stronger, because two gears meshed with each other, is just one less link (no pun intended about the chain driven ones) to break inside.

our transfer cases are all made by New Processes... hence the NP205, NP241, etc..

Ford is known to have Borg Warner t-cases, and they are beasts from personal experience.. unsure of what dodge/chrysler/jeep uses...

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An unbiased t-case sends 50% of power to both output shafts.

You can't really directly compare gear driven t-cases to chain driven cases. 24x and larger NV/NP cases are rated for more input torque than an NP205 ever was.

GM put Borg Warner cases in 3500 trucks from 92-00.

Dodge uses New Process/New Venture cases primarily.

jonnyukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know dumb question but what t-case is in the 95 gmc yukon 2 door model... shifter is on the floor ...oh an its a gaser 350 tbi automatic trans

murphy2024

Reaction score
i have a 93 k1500 with a manual trans and tcase. im doing a body lift on it. whats the best way to disconnect the transfer case linkage? do you just pop off the rubber grommet?

jonnyukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NP241- manual transfercase, shifter is on floor
NP243- electronic transfercase, push button selector on dash, introduced in '96 I think.
NP246- electronic transfercase, push button selector on dash w/ autotrac, introduced in '98 I believe.

Yours would be the NP241

thank u ...

Kable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you shift into four wheel high while driving? I have always stopped but my girlfriend reached down and yanked it into four wheel high going about 35mph. It was fine but since I dont feel like replacing anything right now I figured i'd ask the experts.