Transfer Case Input Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1991 GMC K2500 with what I was told would be a 27 spline shaft with my transmission but after trying to install the new part, I found that the input on the case did not match up with the tranny. What I would like to know is if it's even possible to change my input spline to a 32 count without completely changing the internals and if it is possible, would it be more cost and time effective than spending about $125 more for the correct 4L80E np241 case? I realize I don't know much about this topic so any input is appreciated.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I have a 1991 GMC K2500 with what I was told would be a 27 spline shaft with my transmission but after trying to install the new part, I found that the input on the case did not match up with the tranny. What I would like to know is if it's even possible to change my input spline to a 32 count without completely changing the internals and if it is possible, would it be more cost and time effective than spending about $125 more for the correct 4L80E np241 case? I realize I don't know much about this topic so any input is appreciated.
the 32 spline input just swaps right in, fairly easy swap just need to make sure the oil pump tube stays hooked up as you put it all back together.

the 241 is prone to snapping the retaining snap ring in the tailshaft so i would either get the clamp kit or tack weld the clip in 3 spots to the shaft so it can still easily get removed if need be.