93 with a loud clank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rays93

Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought a 93 2500 4x4 auto. When you shift into a gear from park there is a loud double clang sound. Picture knocking a cresent wrench on the drive shaft. That would be the sound.
I climbed under the truck and had a buddy hold the brakes and shift it for me. It appears to be coming from the slip yoke area. I pulled the shaft and the splines looked ok and there does not seem to be alot of movment.
The ujoints are all tight as well. Is there something in the case that could be going on? What about the slip yoke bushing? Thanks.

Rays93

Reaction score
I have not pulled the cover or anything, But when I had the drive line out I gave the yaoke a twist to feel for slop. It did not feel to bad I guess for a truck with 150 thousand miles. Whats strange is the noise, its not a single "clank" its 2 seperate noises travelin down the drive line. Now you got me wanting to pull the cover and look at the pinion.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next time you have the d-shaft out put some grease in the splines. It is common for the slip to make noise but normally a clunking sound, worth a try tho

Rays93

Reaction score
Will grease stay on the splines inside the transfer case? My drive line does not have the outside slip shaft with carrier bearing.