4x4 wont lock in :/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sjconner

Reaction score
I have a 1993 silverado z71 4x4..
My 4x4 has been going in and out lately, it will not lock in for days. But every once ons while it'll work perfectly fine. And then the next day, no 4x4..
When you try to lock the truck in hi or low, the lights don't glow on the floor board indicator..
You can feel the transfer case when you try to lock the truck into 4 low. But always, the lights don't light up, and the truck just doesn't lock into 4H or 4L. I was told the problem was most likely the actuator, so today I bought a new one (mine is the 5 pin style) and replaced it. Well that didnt fix my problem. Still no 4x4.
BTW, auto locking hubs.
I'm new to the 4x4 world. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Jake

Last edited:

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
sounds like a bad electrical connection to me.

Sjconner

Reaction score
Or Is there some type of relay for the 4x4 that could be going out?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No but there is a switch ontop of the T-case.

Have you checked fuses?

Have you taken the actuator out of the axle, hook it up and have someone pull back on the stick to see if the actuator moves at all?

Sjconner

Reaction score
No but there is a switch ontop of the T-case.

Have you checked fuses?

Have you taken the actuator out of the axle, hook it up and have someone pull back on the stick to see if the actuator moves at all?

How do I locate that switch? And wgat exactly do you mean by it?
There is 1 25amp 4x4 fuse and its good.
And no i haven't tried that, I'm new at all this so I'm not sure how everything works. when i try this what movement should I see on the actuator?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I locate that switch? And wgat exactly do you mean by it?
There is 1 25amp 4x4 fuse and its good.
And no i haven't tried that, I'm new at all this so I'm not sure how everything works. when i try this what movement should I see on the actuator?

If I could find the diagram I could show you the switch:nono:

And if the actuator works you will see it move out like an inch or something. Word of advice DO NOT HOLD ON TO THE ACTUATOR It does get hot

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the switch is what senses that the t-case is in 4x4 and it closes the connection so power can flow to the actuator. So Yes the switch could cause the problems you are having. And would explain the part where you said sometimes it locks in sometimes it don't

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if the light on the floor isn't lighting up its the actuator. thats how my 97 was doing and i changed the actuator and the light started working again.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He replaced the actuator, but that don't mean that its not a bad one out of the box. The actuator gets power from the switch on the T-case