Transfer case noise...is my diagnosis correct?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, how are you guys? In my quest to get my 4x4 working before we get some snow, I keep running into problem after f*ing problem.:banghead: Below is the outline of what I have done after I have changed the TCase fluid, input shaft seal, and the front differential fluid...all in hopes of getting my 4x4 working and in top shape!!!

1. The exhaust was in the way of the front drivehsaft so the previous owner did not have it hooked up. I redid the full exhaust and re-routed it (was going to do it anyway)....thought the problem was solved.

2. I go under the truck to put on the front DS and realize the PO did not leave the metal straps screwed in, so I go to a junkyard and get them....thought the problem was solved.

3. I am pumped that I think I finally have everything...go underneath, start bolting stuff up....and there is a BROKEN BOLT in the Tcase yoke. I am pissed.... Needless to say, I go to the local yard and pull one off for $8 and think the problem is solved.

Here is where I am at now FOUR weeks later: Get everything hooked up last night and the notice the front driveshaft does not turn freely once everything is strapped down. It hits one "sticky" spot about every one revolution. I still took it for a drive around the block to make sure it works, and the 4x4 does work, but you can heard this clunking noise every revolution.

My assessment is that it is probably a bent front driveshaft...hence the broken bolt in the old yoke. I am going to take off the driveshaft sometime this week (work permitting) and spin both the yokes by hand. If they both turn freely with no rubbing or sticking, is it safe to assume the front DS is bent and causing this?

Any other ideas?

Thanks, just looking forward to putting this issue to bed so i can start doing fun mods.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take out the drive shaft, grab the ends of it and swivel them around. If they are real tight, or real loose, they are bad. Also, while the shaft is out, grab the yoke coming out of the transfer case and turn it. See if it pops.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could it be somthing in the front end? i know my dodge had this problem and the front end was all messed up.. it would spin free then stick just like yours and make horrible noises so i take the shaft out and it went away.. then had a buddy rebuild the front end for me and it fixed it..

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the caps are tight and spin cleanly.

I will do this and see....if they don't spin cleanly i will look into getting them replaced.

Take out the drive shaft, grab the ends of it and swivel them around. If they are real tight, or real loose, they are bad. Also, while the shaft is out, grab the yoke coming out of the transfer case and turn it. See if it pops.

I will check this when I pull it out.

If the u joints are fine, and the yokes on the Tcase and front differential spin freely, guess that would mean the driveshaft is bent?

Thanks for the responses guys.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
one other thing to try with the front shaft out put it in 4 hi and drive it see if you get any noise that way,also with 4x engaged jack up front end and spin wheels by hand and see if either side cv axle bind up

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
one other thing to try with the front shaft out put it in 4 hi and drive it see if you get any noise that way,also with 4x engaged jack up front end and spin wheels by hand and see if either side cv axle bind up

That is a good idea about engaging it and driving. The whole front suspension is 4 months old...cv axles, bushings, tie rods, upper/lower ball joint, idler arem, and pitman arm....literally everything. That was one of the first things I did since it was all beat to ****, I used all Moog parts.