1989 4x4 fuse blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
soo, i have no 4x4 in my 1989 stepside, so i figured i would check the fuse before replacing the actuator, sure enough, fuse is blown and its a 30A instead of the 25A that's suppose to be in there, put new fuse in and it blows right away, even with the truck in 2wd.

any ideas?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the actuater, I've seen faulty actuaters cause the fuse to blow. It shouldn't take more then 5-10 minutes to check it out, simply unscrew it (large cresent wrench) and unplug it. Set it on the bench and put 12V+ to it (being your fuse keeps blowing), also install a new fuse with the actuater out, and check that your getting voltage at the actuater plug when it is 4X4, your fuse shouldn't blow with the actuater out!

kr0n0s

Reaction score
i known im bringing up an old thread but it was the best i could find. where do all the wires. run. I am blowing the 4wd fusre with the actuator unplugged. going to look for a short but not sure where all the wires run. (91 k1500)

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
check the 4x4 wiring by the starter where wires run through the tube over there, some times the wires get pinched or rub through or even melt on the y-pipe

kr0n0s

Reaction score
i figured it out. i was under the truck for 3 seconds to find out something had caught the wires and they dropped onto the driveshaft... little chewed. patched in new chunks and cable tied it up so that it wont do that again. Thanks for the replies!

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
i figured it out. i was under the truck for 3 seconds to find out something had caught the wires and they dropped onto the driveshaft... little chewed. patched in new chunks and cable tied it up so that it wont do that again. Thanks for the replies!

There is no way we would have guessed that! :lol: