How to remove tcase yoke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 96 Sierra with push button 4x4. I need to remove the transfer case yoke the front drive shaft attaches too. There is a broken bolt in the yoke.

The questions I have is what size nut is the one that holds the yoke on? I don't have a socket that big so I need to buy one and want to get the right one.

Also should I lock up the t case in 4 wheel drive when removing it so it won't spin?

Any other tips?

Thanks, Jeff

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The yoke is cast iron right? if so weld a nut to whats left and turn it out that way. the weld wont stick to the cast. Also the heat from welding usually busts any rust up so it comes out easier

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bolt is broken off in the yoke. There is nothing left sticking out. I need to get the yoke out and then easy out it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like flush, or in the hole? no room to use the easyout while its on the truck?

Also, Yes lock tcase in 4x4 and use the socket and breaker bar (cheater pipe if needed)

If anything drive it to your local parts store and see if they will let you take one off the shelf and see if it fits or not.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is in the hole and not enough room with the cross member to get the drill in therE good.

I am sure someone on here has removed one.... If not I might have to do that at the store.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a 2 jaw puller so you odn't have to wail on it to get it off the splines. Lock it in low and just pop the nut off and pull the yoke, it's simple. It will drip fluid most likely so have a catch pan ready. Fill spec is 3.8qts IIRC.