transfer case rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i havent had a chance to get under there and check but im assuming mine is in need of a rebuild because ive replaced every actuator and i cant get it to go into 4wd and when i go from drive to reverse or the other way around i feel alot of slack in the drive train between gears and i recently rebuilt my 4l60 so i know its not that so i was thinking about just rebuilding the t case anyways

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The slack between rev and drive is most likely the chain... If you rebuilt your transmission you won't have a problem in the world doing the transfer case. They are probably the easiest thing on the truck to do. What transfer case is it? Its a few updates on some of the Chevy's that need to be addressed when you have it down. You can hit your local gear shop and get a bearing kit, chain, and seal kit for less than 150 i'm sure.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
im not sure which one it is, its been 30 degrees in louisiana for the past week and i am not getting under that damn truck right now to check but ill have to look into it, ok so here are the side effects, when i have the front drive shaft in and i try to put it in 4 high, the light just blinks but when i put it in 4 low then go from drive to park, i hear something grind then goes into 4low but i dont think its actually locking up the front wheels because i when up to a parking spot and tried easing over the curb and the back tires just started to spin but its defidently in 4low gear ratio because it sits at a crawl......any ideas?

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Okay so today was better weather. A nice 65 degrees. So I got under the truck to check which transfer case I have and I was pretty certain the model number was on that red tag that's stamped to the t case but I didn't see any model identification. What am I supposed to be looking for?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be a number... Like NP243. Is it electric shift with the switch in dash or manual with shifter on the floor? If you can, snap a pic of that tag and post it or text it to me. Whichever case it is, they are very easy to build..

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
One thing that comes to mind is if the chain is stretched too badly, it could just be jumping on the sprocket instead of actually transferring any power to the front output shaft. Although the last tcase I dug into was an "old glory" steel cased np203....if your's is mechanical shift, there's not a big difference except the disengage for your 2wd shift point. I'm sure rhino can provide more info than me, I prefer not to dig into tcases if I can avoid it. Same with manual trannies unless I'm building one.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
It's an electrically controlled t case and yeah I'll take a pic of it and send it to you when I get a chance. I've got a busy next couple of days but I think I could squeeze it in tomorrow. It's that red tag on the back right and what's a number I can send it to?