Swapped out my tranny now I have no 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assman's_Z97

Reaction score
Hey there, I just swapped out my tranny on my 97 Silverado 1500 z71 with a 3" body lift and now my 4x4 doesn't work. I have the push button NP243 transfer case and all I have happen when I go to engage my 4x4 is the lights on the buttons flash constantly and you can hear the transfer case itself make a sound like it is doing its job, but the actuator remains silent.

Any tips on what to check, I have double checked my connections on the TC itself and all were good and tight, not sure about any other possible causes as my haynes manual doesn't cover this problem.

Also I guess its worth a mention that the buttons in my dash sometimes don't light up unless I push on the dash, but it has been like that since I had to get the stealership to rewire my truck (due to a pinched trans 20 fuse that fried the whole wiring in my truck.) but it has always worked.

Any suggestions would be great
Thanks
Mike

Assman's_Z97

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed post as after posting this I drove over a VW beetle that made a left hand turn in front of me and I have not had access to my truck.

Heres whats happening now, I found a blown fuse and since replacing the fuse I now have my 4x4 engaging in 4lo but not 4hi. However when it is in 4lo the indicator on the dash just blinks but I am locked in 4lo. So what would cause this to occur and also not allow 4hi to engage at all? Also yes the driveshaft is on lol

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4WD switch's are bad about going bad on these.. But, they usually won't go into 4 hi or 4 lo. Your saying yours is going into 4 hi in the transfer case, but the front end isn't engaging?

Assman's_Z97

Reaction score
When I hit the button on the dash to go into 4hi it just blinks and does not engage at all. When I hit the button to engage 4lo it engages but the light continues to flash. I really do not know how to better decribe this issue lol. I just know that it is annoying me very much as it was working just fine before I swapped out my tranny. My switch seems to be fine and the actuator works as it should when removed from the diff (in 4lo anyways) am I missing something that I should be checking?