Ouput shaft leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
So with the problems I've been having with the truck (see thread in transmission section) I really haven't been driving it the past week or so but I noticed this today when I got under it.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/albums/z368/jth0507/transfer case/

Obviously there is a leak coming from the rear of the transfer case. You can see right below the slip yoke that fluid is coming out of there. Was planning on changing the transmission fluid, filter, etc this weekend while I'm under there as well since I have a light slip.

Is this the seal I need to fix the leak coming out of output shaft?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_03685_1158375_3621&pt=03685&ppt=C0316

I was looking on Rock Auto and they have a few that fit the 243C but they say either "2nd design" or the AC Delco says "booted". They are longer and have a flange. Now...while I'm at since I've had the other problems is there anything else I should change while I'm at it? BTW: The transfer case engages flawlessly.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

vortecv8~5.3l

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a clip that breaks loose and will rub holes in these transfer case. I had a leak in the rear output shaft seal and it didn't leak like that but yours could be a bigger rip in the seal. BTW the seal on my truck had a rubber boot.

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
im interested on this mine leaks too u got any other pics under my bed is stained and wet from it ill get some pics of it

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im interested on this mine leaks too u got any other pics under my bed is stained and wet from it ill get some pics of it

Mine its just like this too. I have the seal in the truck now, but its gonna be a few week before in can put it in.

Im guesting that the trans and t case share fluid? I've checked my case about 3 times and it is always full. I do have to add to the trans about once every oil change though (5k miles) and this is the only leak I can find......

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I wonder if mine is just to full and that is where the excess its coming out at?

When I park it at home my driveway is uphill, wonder if that is doing it too. No spots on the ground under it ever though.....

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I checked my tcase fluid level, (this is with rear end up hill) I got a shower of trans fluid (t case uses trans fluid but is seperate from trans) from the check plug. It was so full I'm amazed I was not getting anything from the vent tube. I had to remove t-case an replace the input shaft seal. Since then I have had no loss of trans fluid.

You might have a small leak from trans into t-case and its leaking out of your rear seal on t-case.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet that is a good possibility. sounds like I should pick up an input seal before I get started then. Might as well throw one in the back of the trans while i'm in there to......