how to test the 4x4 actuator ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
I took the actuator out and let it hang still pluged in I hit the switch in the cab and it didn't move just vibrated in my hand is that a good test to see if it works ?

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it doesnt move than its no good. Try to clean the plunger out with some contact cleaner then lubricate it with some penetrant oil and see if you can get it to move.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
What about the volt meter reading 9 volts is that ok or is it not enough and making it just vibrate ?

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you've pulled it out of its spot, just go ahead and unplug it and hook it up to the battery with jumper wires, that should let you know if its a voltage problem or the actuator is bad

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and if the actuator is good, you might try the switch on the transfer case that turns the actuator on, had my 4x4 go out last summer and it was that little switch and not the actuator, so now i have an extra actuator, as i'm sure i'll need it one day