4x4 dash light switch just blinks please help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
on my 96 silverado when i push the 4 hi you hear the transfer case lock but the actuator motor just vibrates but doesn't move. i put a volt meter on the actuator and it read 9 volts. is there something making it that way or is that enough power to make it work? if its not enough what is making it that low? every month i put it in 4x4 and drive a bit the last two times the light blinked so i switched back in forth from 2 wheel and 4 wheel and it finally went it but now just blinks i bought a new switch but not sure that's it because it lights up and u can hear things under the truck wanting to work i hope someone can help me winter is coming fast!

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Copied From FSC

"There is a switch on the transfer case that conducts when the transfer case is switched into 4 hi or 4 lo.

I would engage the case into 4x4 and check for continuity across the switch with the electrical connector off. Also, make sure you have 12V hot feed to the switch.

I had a 1988 with a similar problem, but that was a shorted feed wire to the transfer case that kept blowing my heater fuse. The previous owner disconnected the 12V feed to the case from the fuse box and never told me. He also told me that the 4wd just "quit working." Turned out a wire was pinched between the carpet and the floorboard, and was shorting out."