Np205 to th400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with the right adapter yes.

not sure if there is one for the th400-205 factory, if so you're good to go if not you need one from like advance adapters, they aint cheap.

Also gotta make sure the th400 shaft is the right length.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Plenty of 400/205 factory combos.

Just need to figure out what pattern 205 you have and make sure it's a 32 spline.

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok but is there a np205 that i could put in my 95 suburban? would a gm np205 work or would i have to get a ford np205 and get a kit to make it fit?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not gonna work your 95 has VSS or electric speedo and NONE of the 205's are electric that I know of, then as you said you have DS drop on your 95 and np205 is PS and maybe ford would work but not sure.

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys! I'll have to do some research a bit more to see what will fit! Thanks again for the help guys!

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not gonna work your 95 has VSS or electric speedo and NONE of the 205's are electric that I know of, then as you said you have DS drop on your 95 and np205 is PS and maybe ford would work but not sure.

91 V30 205's have a VSS tailhousing and reluctor ring. Or you can machine the boss and threads for a sensor and put in a relutor ring in place of the plastic speed cable drive gear.

Or you can run a signal generator upstream of the speedo cable.

You don't even need the VSS with the 400 though and a TBI motor.

Yes, Ford units are d-drop, but 31spl input which would need to be swapped.

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome info but if he doesn't need the VSS how is he gonna get a speedo to work without changing to an aftermarket one?

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome info but if he doesn't need the VSS how is he gonna get a speedo to work without changing to an aftermarket one?

I simply said he didn't need one, not that it wouldn't be of benefit. He can hookup a mech speedo guage, signal gen the mech cable for the stock gauge, modify the case for VSS, find a case with VSS or forgo the whole thing. Just options.