The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighead38

Reaction score
Put anything related to overhead consoles in here. I will update the first post with F.A.Q.'s and and answers as well as any links to a full How to.

1) Will the long console fit in a regular cab truck?
1A) Yes.They work out perfectly. Proof:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bighead38

Reaction score
I like many others had the desire to have an overhead console. I cut the tabs off the back to start. I then pre-drilled the holes in the console. I held it in place and marked the headliner. Then drilled into the roof very carefully. I tapped into the dome light for power and hooked up the two map lights. I then screwed the console up with the twp screws in the back and just the standard one in the front.

Unfortunately the headliner material was longer available so I had to go a shade darker.

Reaction score
what i did, these switches go offroad lights on the ranchhand

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should have used the self-tapper idea on mine. I took a die grinder to my inner skin and cut in the slits like factory. Doh!

Ross

Reaction score
Any one think of adding a rear view mirror w/ reading lights? That would be a cool addition to the reading lights already on the O/H console.

89rcsb

Reaction score
Any one think of adding a rear view mirror w/ reading lights? That would be a cool addition to the reading lights already on the O/H console.

I don't have an overhead console, but I do have a rear view with reading lights that's been converted (not by me) to blue strobe lights for the ultimate in ricer ingenuity.

Might re-wire it and put some red LED's in it and have red reading lights...

Last edited:

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how much space is there between the two skins? I got me one at the junkyard for cheap, but don't like the idea of putting screws in the roof and having them somehow go all the way through to outside.

Ross

Reaction score
You bought the truck with that mirror? I can find them on ebay, but they look like they need a special plug to work (vehicle specific).

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I can remember correctly the skins are like a 1/4" inch maybe a little more apart. Just be careful when you drill your holes. For starting them I wrapped E-Tape around the bit only like a 1/16" below the tip and watched how hard I pushed and stopped the minute the bit broke through. Even with the die grinder I had plenty of room.

Bighead38

Reaction score
So how much space is there between the two skins? I got me one at the junkyard for cheap, but don't like the idea of putting screws in the roof and having them somehow go all the way through to outside.

Not much. Be very careful.