Changing out the Transfer Case Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i have a 97 Yukon 2dr with the electronic push button 4x4. First does anybody know which transfer case model it was for that year/model?

The main question i had was how would i go about changing the transfer case fluid and what would i use and how to do it? Never done it before.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Auto Trak II from the dealer for the push button case. It's the 243C transfer case. It has the same drain and fill plugs on the back side of the case as a 241C. Just take off the bottom one and loosen the top and when it's empty put the bottom plug back in and fill it to the level of top plug.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2+++ Also a pump oil can or a tube that screws onto the bottle makes filling it back up easy

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Auto Trak II from the dealer for the push button case. It's the 243C transfer case. It has the same drain and fill plugs on the back side of the case as a 241C. Just take off the bottom one and loosen the top and when it's empty put the bottom plug back in and fill it to the level of top plug.

'97 wouldn't have auto trak IIRC just a standard NP243

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2+++ Also a pump oil can or a tube that screws onto the bottle makes filling it back up easy

I bought a syringe type of transfer pump, it works great, the hoses are long enough so you dont have to be under the truck. Great for diffs, trannies and t-cases. Under 20 bucks at the local Parts Source.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Negative on the fluid. Only the 246 needs that expensive blue dealer only stuff.

The 243 can just be filled with 4qts of ATF DXIII+

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Cool, I thought all the clutch pack equipped t cases took the auto trak. That should save you some money.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Actually it does have a high/low clutch pack. But it looks like a really simple mechanism to soften the shock of the high low shift.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually it does have a high/low clutch pack. But it looks like a really simple mechanism to soften the shock of the high low shift.

Reference?

There's zero friction clutch parts in a 243 I've ever seen.