Scored this at the yard... (NP205)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was at the junkyard helping a buddy get some axle parts for his XJ when I saw this...
You must be registered for see images attach

Divorced NP205 that I plan on using for my SAS. I read Cajun's sticky and it didn't really click for some reason. I should be able to unbolt my VSS from my 241 and run it on the 205 after turning the gear down and drilling a few holes in the VSS and be all set right? Also, anyone have any info on a 205/241 doubler?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's looking to do a doubler setup where you run twin transfer cases

Azdrtdog

Reaction score
Thats a bute what was it in I have a three fixed yoke 205 in my back yard looks the same

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a bute what was it in I have a three fixed yoke 205 in my back yard looks the same

To be completely honest with you I'm not sure exactly what it was in cause the only body the truck had on it was the bed. I can tell you it was an 8-lug Dodge, manual trans, D60 out back, a 44 out front with drums all the way around and metric ****-tons of JD yellow and green paint lol.

As for the doubler, after searching the interwebs a little more I found this build up of a 205/241 doubler. 5.33-1 low gear. :drool:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757049

I'll keep you guys posted. When the snow melts I plan on diving back into the project. For now I'm kinda stuck.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Droolworthy, I wonder if with that much torque you might split the 241 in half.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Droolworthy, I wonder if with that much torque you might split the 241 in half.

The planetary and front case of the 241 isn't seeing more torque. It's upstream of the second reduction box so if anything it sees less load as result of the need for more output torque.

I thought about building a 241/241 for a while, just weld on ribs to the back of the rear 241 case to keep it from splitting but I think it's just going to giveway to a Stak for a future build.

In any case that divorced case isn't going to help you a whole lot unless you're planning on choping the output of the 241 off and capping both halves and running a small intermediate shaft between the 205 and 241. No

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cajun, do you have any other pics of puttin the 241 VSS on your 205? Bggrnchvy, I don't think I'm following you. Why would you need to run an intermediate shaft between the two? What I'm gettin out of the article above is that you cut the 241, cap the back and bolted that to the front of the 205 via the whole clocking ring design and either A. find a way to bolt on a yoke to the 241 and run an intermediate shaft between my 700r and the doubler or mount the doubler directly to the 700 like my 241 is now. There's something I'm missing here isnt there?