1997 Chevy K1500 4x4 (Will not go into 4 wheel high)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Californiadad

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just picked up a 1997 K1500 4x4. My problem is I have 4wheel drive low but no 4 wheel drive high. I just replaced the actuator on the front diff, but still no 4WH. what should I check next?

Also should I be able to switch into 4 wheel high while the truck is in "D" Drive? I know you need to be in "N" for 4 wheel low.

Thanks
David from California

Cartman372

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just picked up a 1997 K1500 4x4. My problem is I have 4wheel drive low but no 4 wheel drive high. I just replaced the actuator on the front diff, but still no 4WH. what should I check next?

Also should I be able to switch into 4 wheel high while the truck is in "D" Drive? I know you need to be in "N" for 4 wheel low.

Thanks
David from California

Well I do know you should be able to switch into 4-hi while in "D" as I can do it with my truck. Usually people end up with no 4wd at all, I haven't heard of 4wd-lo but no 4wd-hi

Californiadad

Reaction score
Yeah.. The funny thing is I think it worked once or twice in 4wh while in D, but it would just flash for a sec and then go right back into 2WD.

Californiadad

Reaction score
If i put the truck in "N" and push the 4wh button, both 4wh and low lights flash a few times then goes back to 2wd. but if i push the 4wL button I hear a clunk and the 4wl light stays lite.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ohhh, you have the push button 4wd thing, hmmm, I dont know then man, could be a simple wiring problem then. Check the wiring on the back of your dash switch and then trace it to the source and the to the actuator. Then check your grounds. Does the transfer case sound ok, no grinding or expensive crunching noises??

Californiadad

Reaction score
Today I tried the oldest trick in the book and just unhooked the battery for a few hrs, and after doing that the 4wd high works just fine now!!!! Must of needed a reset.