Posi-Lok (Perm-Lok) Kit #1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GA5700

Reaction score
Searched and searched but still two questions about Posi-Lok systems in general (#600 and #800) as well as this kit in particular (#1000).
Concerning all Posi-lok systems, from what I gather in order for the 4WD indicator to illuminate the vehicle will have to see that the front is indeed engaged as well as the floor shifter placed into 4 HI / 4 LO. Is that correct?
As far as the #1000 kit in particular does anyone see any drawbacks to utilizing this kit instead of the #600 for my 97 Hoe (Automatic and Manual 4WD)?

Here is a link to the kit: http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

Last edited:

GA5700

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Yeah just got the phone with Mike at Posi-Lok and he did basically say the same thing. "A 1-MPG difference would be a stretch" he said but still nice to know that the unit would not be doing anything more than the basic kit when engaged. Of course I wouldn't have the 2-low option as well.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Which kit did you end up using? I was looking at the perm-lok kit bc I plan on SAS my truck in 2-3 years when I get out of college, I was just wondering if the perm-lok would put too much strain on the front diff parts enough to mess it up before I SAS it.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im curious too my 4wd wouldnt go in last weeknd. going to get that so i know its locked in emmidatly. will the light come on still?

GA5700

Reaction score
Yes, with the #600 and #800 kit as well as the Perm-Lok kit the light will come on. As far as which kit I am going to go with, I'll let you know tomorrow.

zraffz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why can't you run the cable directly to the front diff to have it engage the posi gear? Or is that basically what this kit does? Then it wouldn't have anything to do with your 4WD working or not..

Reaction score
I weighed this out for ever.... My truck is older so the main issue is it is thermal actuated. Switch on....wait it heats up were all good.... drivin and oh there's a puddle! *SPLASH!!!* (the unit cools down and no 4x4)... Stupid design. So I looked at the posi lock and it is cool but then I found you could use the (I think don't quote me) 96+ electronic actuators can be used with a spacer. you just wire it to your 4x4 selector and 80% improvement. Now you donèt get the 2low option. Or do you.... I rigged a switch so i can just cut the power to the actuator. It's cheaper too.