1997 k1500 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No clutches in a T-case man, gears maybe. Is it grinding, popping out of gear, not enganging???
The newer NP246 T-cases with the autotrac do have a clutch setup in them, but I didnt think they came out until the NBS in 99?

The push button T-case is the NP243, which is basically the same as the manual T-case (NP241).

On the back of the T-case there should be a metal tag with the model number on it.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i dont know what its doing or not doing, i went like over a year without the front driveshaft in it and i decided to put it back and i was testing it out and it goes into 4 low, not 4 hi and when i put it in 4 low, the front wheels wont pull any, like i tried easing up onto a curb and the back wheeks just start spinning and the front wont climb? so im assuming it wont fully engage i guess

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the actuator in your front diff isn't engaging. Its either bad, fuse blown, or not plugged in. The fact that it won't go into 4hi sounds like you might have a linkage adjustment problem.

Is it push button or manual?

Do you have a body lift?

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
its push button, and no body lift, ive replaced that actuator before and ive tested it by giving it 12v and it moves find but i know that the front and back wheels are connected somehow because when i had it and 4low and went ot take off i forgot how low the gearing is and the bad tires tried spinning but the truck bucked because it was binding front to back wheels

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
oh and a factor i forgot to mention is the fluid in my transfer case is black and burnt, tranny fluid is perfect tho, dont know if it means anything to anyone

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its push button, and no body lift, ive replaced that actuator before and ive tested it by giving it 12v and it moves find but i know that the front and back wheels are connected somehow because when i had it and 4low and went ot take off i forgot how low the gearing is and the bad tires tried spinning but the truck bucked because it was binding front to back wheels

In your other thread you say you do NOT have a front driveshaft in, which is it? If no front driveshaft install then there is zero connection of front to back. Either way things should not be binding. Sounds like your t-case is in need of a rebuild, or just replace it with one from a salvage yard, they arent that cheap to rebuild.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
since i posted that thread about if it will go into the 4wd with no front drive shaft, i have since then put it in and am trying to get it back running 100%