issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
since i bought my truck 3 years ago i have been through 4 trannys and because ive been through them so much ive learned not to put some things back together such as putting the front drive shaft back in (since i never go off roading anyways) and one time that i had the tranny out i noticed some broken wires and previous to taking the tranny out the 4wd wouldnt work, so when i fixed the wires and put the tranny and transfer case back in and put it into 4wd it wouldnt switch, so my question is, will your 4wd activate without the front drive shaft in?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the actuator should still engage the front differential, regardless of weather or not the front driveshaft is installed. BUT you have the NP243, which is controlled by an electric motor, so that might come into play also. You say that the four wheel drive isn't working. What is it doing? Is the indicator light lighting up or no? Also if you had broken wires, it's VERY possible that one of them grounded out and blew the fuse on the 4X4 circuit. So a good place to start is to check the fuse. Have you checked your actuator in the front diff? Or the Ball switch on the transfer case? To really start to diagnose and repair this, you should probably put the front driveshaft back in.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
when i push the 4hi button it starts blinking and you can here the actuator move but itll just keep blinking, and i believe that all my fuses are intact because i check them regularly, i know that the most simple smart thing to do would be just to put the drive shaft in and see if it works but i have so much more on my plate with my truck that the 4wd isnt my biggest concern right now, but im just looking into atm

350VortecSSCT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its your whole wiring case. The 4wd accuator is working, but the wiring from the control is bad. Replace immediately, keep your front driveshaft in for it, cuz its there for the ride and takes pressure off the rear shaft.