5.7 vs 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS ROCK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering which engine is better for towing? The 5.7 vortec or the 5.3? I tow off and on and would like to know which is better?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Stock - Stock
5.7L Vortec
255HP/330

5.3L Vortec
285HP/325

The peak numbers are basically the same but the LS has a flatter torque curve and you can add power easier, a tune alone really wakes them up. Once you swap to an LSX, you have a whole family of interchangeable parts and would be a direct swap if you upgraded to 6.0 later. The older SBC is a great motor but limited in stock form, they also can make awesome numbers but still wouldn't hold a candle to a LS with equal about of money invested. I plan to swap to a 5.3 or 6.0, its gonna be a ***** to get done but after seeing what these motors can do it'll be worth it when I'm done.

Edit: A friends 4.8L equipped NNBS in stock form felt to have as much power as I did in my 13 year old 5.7L, we both have 3.73s.

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
well, thats a hard comparison, 454 is a Big Block, and the 6.0L is a Small Block, I would prefer the 454 myself, but ive always been into BBC's.